cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 11 external OWA attachments point to internal address

Why_u_no_work
Level 3

Hello all,

We currently have EV 11 setup within an Exchange 2013 environment. This was setup a long time ago and has worked for quite some time, but yesterday we had an issue were we can no longer access attachments through OWA externally. If we go to download the attachment, it points to the internal EV server name and fails. Nothing on the EV server was changed so I am not sure how this happened. I found guides on how to configure new installations but I do not know where this is setup at. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As I mentioned earlier, there are several things you need to consider if you want to change this especially if you are running for a while. That is because all emails have the alias URL hardcoded within. 

Also be aware that this will only impact the newly archived emails. There is a way to rebuild all shortcuts, but that is very time and resource intensive operation. Here is the article: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000031383

Did this a few times and what we did was to also keep the old EV CNAME in DNS so that users can still access previously archived emails.

I'm not aware of any procedure as such. You will have to change the CNAME of the EV server in the Directory database. First, take a backup of the EV Directory database, then run this query:

Use EnterpriseVaultDirectory
Update ComputerEntry
SET ComputerName = '<New alias for EVSERVER>'
WHERE ComputerName = '<Old alias for EVSERVER>'

Let me know if you face any problems.

--Virgil

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

VirgilDobos

Hi there,

Are you trying to access the attachments by clicking on the hyperlinks within the archived email shortcut?

--Virgil

Virgil,

Yes I am. From what I was told it has always worked this way. 

Thanks 

VirgilDobos
Hi mate, well, EV uses the DefaultWebApp Url for that which is typically the DNS alias of the EV server where the archive is stored. Therefore, you have two options:
1. Publish the internal EV URL outside the LAN (not always possible)
2. Change the DefaultWebApp URL or alias to point to the external URL - this has several implications so please review carefully

Hope this helps.
--Virgil

Virgil,

Do you have a guide on how to change the DefaultWebApp URL? 

Thanks

VirgilDobos

As I mentioned earlier, there are several things you need to consider if you want to change this especially if you are running for a while. That is because all emails have the alias URL hardcoded within. 

Also be aware that this will only impact the newly archived emails. There is a way to rebuild all shortcuts, but that is very time and resource intensive operation. Here is the article: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000031383

Did this a few times and what we did was to also keep the old EV CNAME in DNS so that users can still access previously archived emails.

I'm not aware of any procedure as such. You will have to change the CNAME of the EV server in the Directory database. First, take a backup of the EV Directory database, then run this query:

Use EnterpriseVaultDirectory
Update ComputerEntry
SET ComputerName = '<New alias for EVSERVER>'
WHERE ComputerName = '<Old alias for EVSERVER>'

Let me know if you face any problems.

--Virgil

Virgil,

Sorry for the delay in response, busy week. I update the ComputerEntry table and created the reg key. The Archive processing took about 1 minute to run on my mailbox but nothing has change. I am still seeing ev01.domain.hq instead of ev.domain.com when hovering over attachements in OWA. 

Thanks 

VirgilDobos

Hi mate,

No worries. As I mentioned, changing the DefaultWebappURL will only impact the newly archived emails. All emails archived before will point to the old name.

There is a way to rebuild the old shortcuts, but that is very time and resource intensive operation. Here is the article: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000031383

--Virgil

Virgil,

I was able to get it to work, however, it was the DefaultWebAppURL in the SiteEntry table that needed to be changed. I am not sure that this is the correct fix as the previouse entry was '/EnterpriseVault' but when I put in the full external URL it worked. Any thoughts? 

Thanks

VirgilDobos

Hi there, that's great. This should not have any other adverse impact.

--Virgil

VirgilDobos

Hi there, please mark the solution post so that other people can benefit from it.

--Virgil