cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 6 Sp1 on Windows 2003 cluster in HP SAN environment

Sandeep_Figer
Level 3
Hi,

I have deployed Enterprise vault 6.0 sp1 for file system archive. I have 2 TB space from HP 1000 MSA for the files Archived storage & have SQL 2000 Enterprise database server for which I use some disk space of the HP SAN. The logs are placed on the SAN too. I have also installed BCP server for Directory service & SQL at remote site on gigabit network & using Veritas Storage foundation 4.3 for replication of Archived Storage. The storage on the other end is secondary which sync with the primary on the EV. I get below error after each backup saying "Backup- \\KPOHSM01\F: KPOKVS An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resynchronized with the original volumes.". KPOHSM01 is my directory service computer while kpokvs is site name & F:\ is the space of the MSA for Archived itmes storage. Also event viewer shows some snapshot license not installed. Any idea on this message?

Also as we have just started using EV, I have enabled options to delete safety copies after backup. The normal mode shows File placefolder placed, Archived etc but somehow even after backup I can still see files in the same folder. Any idea why safety copies do not get removed. I have enabled option for file placeholderverive & a shortcurt on items archived. All services are running ok.

Cheers,
Sandeep
4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The error you are seeing looks more related to the backup software, not EV. This might help though.

Document ID: 276343
http://support.veritas.com/docs/276343

For the safety copy issue, what should happen is this:
Archive runs and archives the files, then backup runs.
The next archive run the item is turned into a placeholder. I am a little confused, do you see files with a placeholder and the regular file or no placeholder icons at all?

If you run in report mode what does the report say?

Sandeep_Figer
Level 3
Hi,

The document on snapshot looks helpful & will try that out.

On safety copy issue I can see, it shows me archive archived & backup runs ok. The file archived is shown in the original location with placeholder icon (little black icon). File sixe is same as original file & so looks like Ihave now copies at 2 locations, on the production server & archived storage. Bit confused on how the process works.

In report mode it shows me saying waiting Archive ready forArchive & process seems to be happening.

Regards,
Sandeep

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
FileSizeEmulation will make the placeholder appear to be the same size. By default FileSizeEmulation registry setting is set to 1 in which the placeholder reports the size of the original item that was archived. Changing this value to 0 will show the actual size ofthe placeholder instead. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\FSA\Placeholder Service

That could be what you are seeing. In this post someone suggest viewing the properties of the file. There should be "two parameters "Size" and "Size on disk". All archived files have "size on disk" Kb. In the same way it is possible to look properties for the archival folder."

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=60666&tstart=0

Sandeep_Figer
Level 3
Hi,

Anything on safety copies getting deleted as per my thread?

Regards,
Sandeep