cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 7.5 Eval - Newbie Question Backup

Trevor_B
Level 4
Hi All,

I have a 30 day eval of this product. I have set Ev 7.5 up for a few users to test, When the Symantec rep showed me a demo via the web he used backup exec v12 saying an agent is to be released for EV , Well that is fine but is there an easy way to backup the stores? as im sure nothing will fully archive until the backup has been done.

Any help be appreciated

The product looks very good but without an easy backup solution until the BE v12 and agent comes out should a stay away from purchasing this product ?

Thanks

Trevsta

Worcester
England.
25 REPLIES 25

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Backing up the vault stores is not different than backing up and other file system. NTFS files systems have an attribute named an archive bit. If you backup software is set to turn off (AKA reset) the archive bit then you will be fine.

You Backup Exec version should clear the archive bit. NetBackup also clears the archive bit but it can be changed so it only backs up the file system by comparing date changed.

There are backup instruction in the EV documentation that gives examples of script that are used to place the EV services in Read-Only mode. You should place the EV system in Read-Only mode before you backup you DB's and stores so they are consistent.

If you would like to force the file system into thinking it was backed up then you can go to the root of the stores file system and type "attrib -a /s". This will turn off the archive bit for all files under root of where you ran the command and all sub directories.

Hope this helps.

Jim S.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Trevor

This seems to be a test system only.
You can set the "safety copy" setting on the Vault Store to "immediately", this will archive the e-mail immediately instead of after backup.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Trevor_B
Level 4
Jimbo,
Many Thanks

Is it possible just to add the vault store to my BE v11d backup and the sql databases too so they will get backed anyway or is that not good practice ?

MichelZ
Level 6
This will be OK, too.

Cheers
Michel

Trevor_B
Level 4
Thanks for your prompt reply,

I did have the settign set to after backup, i have now changed it to immidiately but i still have to do one backup ? according to the notes is that correct

thanks

Trev

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
I think what you are telling me is that you are backing up the SQL DB's and Store using the same backup job. If that is possible then go for it.

Just remember,

EV should either be shutdown or placed in Read-Only mode. R/O mode will allow users to view their items but no modifications can be done. The SQL database in not being populated with new or deleted items. The indexes are not being updated.

The system will be in a fairly consistent state for a backup. Read the backup instructions and backup all areas as indicated.
Admin Guide - Check for EV backup procedures section.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/289858.htm

The index location is mentioned ans should be backed up. If a large index gets corrupt then tech support will advise you to restore from backup then run and update from the GUI against the index. Rebuilding a large index can take a large amount of time and EV resources.

To avoid index corruption make sure you exclude the indexes from being scanned by your AntiVirus. This will also help performance. It is recommended to exclude the MSMQ, Vault Store, and Indexes.

Jim S.

MichelZ
Level 6
Trevor

Yes, this is correct for previously archived items.
Only new Items will be archived directlry.

But you can do a right click -> properties of the vault store in Explorer, and remove the tick for "Ready to archive" in Advanced.

Cheers
Michel

Kopfjager
Level 5
Employee Certified
If you change the settings from "safety copies" to "immediately after archive" and restart the storage service, all items in the watchfile table should clear out and items will turn to shortcuts without having to run a backup.

Alway be aware that "immediately after archive" will give you a short window where you could sustain data loss if the Vault stores were lost before backup.  You would only have shortcuts in the Mail Stores and and no restore ability for your vault store.

This is why it is always recommended to have a safety copy.  Some users will only do Mailbox Archives this way and use the "immediate" for Journals because they would have a copy if needed.

Trevor_B
Level 4
Guys,

I did to the atrib -a /s then my files when from the clock icons to archived items. I have the reg entries and the bat files to stop the EV services and put them into read only mode. How can i encorporate this into Exec Backup 11.d ? i can stop the services and restart them in read only mode and vice versa how do other people go about backing up EV ?? anyone with BE 11.d ?  i hope this isnt a manual process i have to do each morning at 3am

Smiley Surprised

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
There should be a place in the Backup Exec job for , script before job, and script after backup job completes.

Are you familiar with this?

Jim S.

Trevor_B
Level 4
Jim,

I have just tried that i got a wierd result, the archive vault files on my 3Tb server are at 545 meg but when it was backed up via this method to disk  ( not tape ) in BE 11.d the file it created was was 7.1 gig.  i thought this is massivley wrong do you know otherwise ?

Trev

Thanks for your good replies to my newbie issues. I see this as a great product for our company when i get this small issues ironed out

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Go to the restore window to verify what was backed up. Verify the type of backup (Full, ICN, DIFF).

Jim S.

Trevor_B
Level 4
Jim,

I have now sorted out that issue it was a mistake on my part. I have now just one more small issue to resolve. On my own pc i have been settign up the EV7.5 i can read archived emails, do everything else but i cannot click on an email and archive it like i used to the error i get is -:

"EV is not running at the moment, so none of the EV functionality is available" I know thee system is up and running though, ?

i have reloaded outlook but to no avail any help with this ?

thanks

trev

Message Edited by Trevor B on 12-04-2007 08:59 AM

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Verify that the Archiving task is started and not in Read-Only Mode if so then:

This sounds like it may be a client side name resolution on your client system.

Verify that you can ping the EV alias short and long name.
Flush DNS and try again : IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

If not fixed then do the following:

Click on CTRL + Shift and one of the EV buttons. Click on the EV information tab.
Post it.

Trevor_B
Level 4
Jim,

just the retension catagory has an error   ref   80070005

thanks

trev

Message Edited by Trevor B on 12-04-2007 09:14 AM

MichelZ
Level 6
Trevor

Do Jim's suggestion again and set the Debug Level higher.
Then restart Outlook, try to archive an item again, and have a look at the logs...

Post the related infos out of the logs.

Cheers
Michel

MichelZ
Level 6
Here is a good article to follow.

Outlook clients fail to archive or retrieve items in Enterprise Vault for Microsoft Exchange.

(Thanks to Jim S.  :) )

Trevor_B
Level 4
Guys,

Will try this tomorrow as i have now left for the day. Just to note via OWA i can archive and retrieve without any issues, it`s just my client at work the other 2 guys on test all work fine.

thanks again

Trev

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Sounds like name resolution from your workstation to the EV server.

I do not think the firewall would cause this but if it is on then you may wan to disable for testing.

Jim S.