cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 8.0 SP1 OWA 2003 extention installation on backend exchange - Could not determine Exchange server role

WillyLee
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi. I installed EV 8.0 SP1 Owa 2003 extensions on two frond-end exchange servers, it was OK

However, when I tried to install the owa 2003 extensions on the backend exchange servers, I got the following errors on both active/passive nodes.

“Could not determine Exchange server role. The install cannot continue”

NOTE :  This error can indicate that the global catalog could not be accessed.

Any idea ? looks like MS issue ?
6 REPLIES 6

Maverik
Level 6
Try these one or both of these.

:
A. Add an offline Network Resource Name which is the hostname of the Exchange server as seen in Active Directory. Once in place, install the EV OWA extensions and remove the Network Name Resource.

B. Take the additional backup hostname offline and install the EV OWA extensions.

The two attributes we read are the serverrole and serial number, and the serial number is a string representing the Exchange Server version. This is contained within AD and can be viewed using tools like ldp.exe.

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Do you have ESM installed on the FE?

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi there

Do you need more info on this Subject?
If not, could you mark a post that suits your needs as the solution?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Dave_Tammi
Level 4
I have inherited the task of upgrading from Vault 2007 to Vault 8 SP2. The Front end servers installed the OWA extensions without any issues, but I can not seem to get the back end servers to install.

It was mentioned that the server role is in AD and can be viewed using ldp.exe.

PLEASE tell me how to look and where.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

MichelZ
Level 6
Dave

You should open up a new discussion for your own unique problem.
This helps us keeping those seperated, and you should reference such matching topics in your own discussion.

Is there anything noted in the logs/eventlog?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Dave_Tammi
Level 4
Hi,

I opened a new discussion and was provided with a solution to my problem. It turns out that I had created an second network name cluster resource as an alias to my Exchange Virtual Server that caused the problem. I removed this and created the alias in DNS which resolved my issue.