cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Outlook Add-In for Office 365 Subscription / Windows 8.1

JMoser
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Not sure if anyone else has had this specific issue (I have seen some similar posts), but I recently ran into a problem getting the Outlook Add-In to work with the subscription edition of Office 2013 on Windows 8.1.  No matter what I did I could not get the Enterprise Vault Add-In to even show up in the trust center in Outlook, let alone on the menu bar in Outlook.

The fix for this problem ended up being to uninstall the subscription edition of Office 2013 that was downloaded from Office 365 and reinstall and the normal volume license edition.  Once I made this change, and uninstalled/reinstalled the EV plug-in the Outlook Add-in worked immediately!

I haven't gone as far as testing to determine if the problem is specific to Windows 8.1 or the Office Subscription installation but I just wanted to share my findings.

We do have several clients that are using/looking at the subscription edition of Office even if they are not using Office 365 for email, so this is a problem I expect we are going to start to see more often if they are also archiving with EV.

Thanks,

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Can you take a look at this technote?

Enterprise Vault client will not install on Outlook 2013 x64 (Office365 ProPlus subscription)
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH214359

Let me know if that helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi JMoser,

Question, where are the mailboxes located? Are they local in an Exchange server On-Premises or in the cloud? Please, take a look at this technote since it might be related:

Archiving Microsoft Office 365 with Enterprise Vault
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH169342

I hope this helps.

JMoser
Level 2
Partner Accredited

This is an on-premises Exchange installation with on-premises Enterprise Vault for mailbox archiving.

The only feature of Office 365 used in this instance is the subscription for Office 2013 - we have several clients that are moving in this direction to eliminate the one time cost required to purchase office for all users.

The issue only effects the ability to use the Office Add-In for EV inside Outlook.  I am not sure if the problem is the combination of Windows 8.1 and the subscription version of Office 2013 or if it is just the subscription version of Office 2013 that is the problem.

The add-in did not display in trust center in Outlook so Outlook did not even know it existed.  Uninstall/Reintall of the add-in had no effect nor did manual registration.  The only fix was to not use the subscription based version of Office on Windows 8.1.

Also note that I was using the latest EV plug-in - 10.0.4.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Can you take a look at this technote?

Enterprise Vault client will not install on Outlook 2013 x64 (Office365 ProPlus subscription)
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH214359

Let me know if that helps.

JMoser
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Gabe,

That describes the problem exactly so that is most likely the fix!

Thanks for posting that - hopefully it will help others as well!

Jeff

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Glad to help !!