cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Outlook Add-In 10.0.2/10.0.1

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to install Outlook Add-In on a PC running Windows 7 + Office 2010 and I'm getting the following error:

"Outlook 2010 or later is installed on this coputer. You must install the Enterprise Vault Http-Only Outlook Add-in".

Then:

"Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook AddIn Setup ended prematurely"

If you take a look at the installed programs in Control Panel, It's there. And also if you open Outlook. But I'm asked for credentials when I try to open an archived email.

What is wrong?

Thanks in advanced.

Regards.

Juan Antonio.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check the technote below: "Users are prompted for username and password when attempting to open Enterprise Vault (EV) archived items"

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56220

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check the technote below: "Users are prompted for username and password when attempting to open Enterprise Vault (EV) archived items"

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56220

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Thanks ZeRoC00l, I'll check that.

But, why am I getting that error when installing the plugin? Outlook 2010 is sipposed to be compatible with those plugin versions. And there's no Http-Only Outlook Add-in after version 10.0.

Juan Antonio

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Can you verify the version information on the MSI?  (post a screenshot maybe?)

Working for cloudficient.com

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Rob, what do you mean by "MSI"?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The file you are running to try to install the EV Outlook Addin.

JuanAntonio
Level 5

.MSI file, I guess. Let me check.

Chau_Tran
Level 4

What Rob means is the installation file of the EV client. It comes in the format of MSI and also a Setup.exe. If you go to the properties of the MSI file and the the Details tab will show you what version of the EV client you are installing.

BTW, are you using the MSI file or the Setup.exe file? From the description of the error it looks like you are installing an older version of the EV client.

The altearnative is to enable EV client install logging if you are positive that you are using the correct EV client version:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/enterprise-vault-outlook-client-installer-logging

Post the clien installer log here.

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Attached you will find the Installed Program as can be seen on Control Panel.

Chau_Tran
Level 4

Did you perform upgrade ontop of an older version of EV client or was it a clean install with no previous EV client installed on the machine? 

Can you remove the current EV client cleanly...and then run the EV client install with the log enabled and then post the log file here if you still get the error?

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Attched you will find the "Details" os the MSI file I'm using. This is the file that comes with the EV 10.0.2 that I downloaded from "fileconnect".

I have performed clean installations using both: setup.exe and the MSI file directly.

I get the same errors with plugins 10.0.1 and 10.0.2.

By the way, my EV production server is running 9.0.3 version.

I installed Windows 7 and Office 2010 on my PC some months ago (running XP and Office 2003 before). I installed 10.0.1 plugin and everything was working fine. I installed 10.0.2 plugin afterwards (after deleting the other one) and everything was working fine. I got the warning:

"Outlook 2010 or later is installed on this coputer. You must install the Enterprise Vault Http-Only Outlook Add-in".

every time, but then all seemed to work fine.

Then, I had to reinstall completely my computer and ... Outlook plugin started to not work properly.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Can you generate a full client log of when you open Outlook?

Do you see EV toolbar icons (on the EV ribbon) after opening Outlook?

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Yes, I can see EV toolbar icons on Outlook.

How can I generate that full client log?

I'm also trying to enable EV client install logging (but I'm getting some errors).

Thanks.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Generating a client log:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38096

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Thanks Rob. Let me try.

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Hi all again,

I'm attaching the full client log when I opened my Outlook. I can't see anything wrong. I have been installing, removing and reinstalling several and different versions of the Outlook plugin on my PC, so I think that, maybe, one of the removals was not completely done and now I'm getting that message ("Outlook 2010 or later is installed on this coputer. You must install the Enterprise Vault Http-Only Outlook Add-in").

I have also tried all the solutions proposed in the technote that ZeRoC00l said in order to solve the problem with the prompt for username and password when opening archived items. But I'm still getting the same. None of the scenarios described here worked for me.

Any more ideas?

Thanks.

Juan Antonio

Chau_Tran
Level 4

Were you able to get the EV client install log?

If you try and install the same EV client install file on another Windows 7 machine with only Outlook 2010 installed ever (try on a VM machine) do you get the same error?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I'm not sure I understand what problem we're trying to solve here.

Is this a widespread problem?  You're seeing it on all machines? Or just one/two?

Is the problem the Outlook pop-up saying you need the HTTP Addin?  Or is the problem deeper, and you can't open archived items, missing toolbar etc?

If it's just one machine, and it's the pop-up, I'd suggest :

a/ Close Outlook

b/ Uninstall the Add-in

c/ Reboot

d/ Remove any remaining parts of Enterprise Vault from the \Program Files (or Program FIles (x86)).

e/ Remove any remaining parts from the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KVS)

f/ Install 10.0.2 client again

g/ Test

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is the computer with outlook a member of the domain ?

Is this the only workstation with issues, or do all workstations have the same ?

Did it work in the past ?

JuanAntonio
Level 5

There are two different problems:

- One of them is the error I get when I install EV client (as described above). I have seen that I also get the message "Welcome to the Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In Upgrade Setup" (Note: Upgrade). Even if I completely remove it before. And even following Rob's instructions. But I have seen that it only happens in 2 or 3 PCs, those that I have been using to test the second problem (the other one). I think that after install, remove and reinstall several client versions there's something left that Windows 7 thinks that the client is already installed and is trying to do and upgrade (and saying that Outlook 2010 is not supported).

- I'm more worried about the other problem: Users prompted for username/password when opening an archived email. Most of the users are still using Windows XP/Office 2003 with no problems. Some weeks ago we started with a Windows 7/Office 2010 pilot project, installing that in about 25 PCs. Then problems arrived. Some users has no problems and can open archive emails well and some others (like me) not. Some examples:

- Fisrt time I installed W7/Office 2010 on my PC I had no problems. EV client was working fine (10.0.1 and 10.0.2). One day I had to reinstall my PC from scratch. After that, I started to be prompted for username/password.

- There are 2 users working fine with their W7 PCs. If one of them change to the other user PC and start a session there, Outlook prompts him for login/password when opening an archived email. Coming back to his PC he can work fine again.

- One user started to use a new PC with W7 a couple of weeks ago. No problems. Suddenly, a few days later (without having doing any changes on the PC) started to be prompted for login/password.

No rules for this behaviour.

I also check and test all the scenarios in the technote suggested by ZeRoC00l. Negative. Everything there seems to be fine.

All the PCs are joined ti a domain.

Best regards.