cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV2007 + Placeholder on NetApp : Strange result

Moraillon_josse
Level 4
Hi everyone, i hope someone get the same things than me on EV 2007 + Netapp Archiving process, because i m starting to feel alone on this point ;0)

problemes !

1) Size on disk, the new EV2007 correct well the size from 0k to correct one, good !... but it seems that the size on disk it the same than orginal..in place of real size of the placeholder. any idea ?
2) When use LOCAL cut and paste or robocopy /move some files with placeholders, all file are recalled, before on cut the placeholder wasn't recalled.. any idea ?
3) the right click properties on the file can produce (time to time) a recall !!! wouch any idea ?
4) the robocopy to new FS, recall file to move it, but after move, the destination looks like placeholder in place of original files..

Thx thx thx thx thx ;0)

5 REPLIES 5

Joe_Vogel
Level 4
If you are referring to feeling alone having issues with FSA/Netapp and EV, you are not alone. 

We are experiencing some of the issues you explain here as well as a few others (specifically #2 and #3).   Since we are running v7, we still have 0kb files, so we wouldn't notice number 1 or number 4.  We are currently running EV 7 and have been told that these issues are resolved in 2007. 

We also have issues recalling Visio files as well as Windows Offline files.  We were told those would be resolved in 2007 as well, but I am having my doubts now.  We are currently in a pilot phase and I am just unsure what other FSA issues we haven't yet uncovered.

Have you placed a call to support, and if so, what did they say? 

Moraillon_josse
Level 4
The call is still open, i wait today for news, i ll give you a feed back

Message Edited by Moraillon josserand on 09-05-2007 02:45 AM

Joe_Vogel
Level 4
If you wouldn't mind, can you post the support ticket number.  We have has some high level resources looking at our issues for a while and they are asking for this info to see if these cases are related. 

Moraillon_josse
Level 4
Hi,

First feed back from support

1) size in disk that present orginal size in place of placeholder size...seems to be normal in EV 2007 + NetApp
2) HTML and MSG file haven't icon after archiving..seems a windows xp problem : KB895115

Still waiting :

- Right click = recall
- move on the same FS = recall

i ll give you a feed back asap

Joe_Vogel
Level 4
We have been having several discussions at a high level with Symantec concerning our problems, including these two outstanding issues you have outlined.

In regards to the moving placeholders and getting properties, they have stated that this is "by design" and is not going to get fixed, but they are going to create a technote article.  It apparently has to do with the Netapp Fpolicy only servicing open requests and not Read requests or something along those lines.  I still would like to know what undocumented "by design" differences with Netapp don't work exactly as documented in the Admin guides, but this is a start.

I'd be interested in how you are using FSA and if have you found any other issues running 2007?   We have had multiple issues with 7.0 and FSA on Netapp and our confidence in the product is not very high at this point.