Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV7.5 - Possible causes for growing a5 queues

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello all,

I see growing a5 queues on some EV-servers
The servers affected are handling 3 exchange servers each, using 3 tasks.
I believe the archiving window is sufficient to handle the number of mailboxes on the respective servers.

Other EV-servers (which handle about the same amount of mailboxes) do not show this.

What might be causing the slow(er) processing of mailboxes?

In the eventviewer i see EV cannot scan 1 mailbox (unable to list messages) and 1 failed index-volume (working on that one)

Any possible causes?

Thanks.
Regards. Gertjan
2 REPLIES 2

Maverik
Level 6
How are you determining that is has slowed?

Have you referred to the performance guide and ran SQL scripts from Admin Guide to give rough indication on performance? You should be able to see how many items roughly could be processed an hour from Performance Guide and then see how many you get from SQL scripts.

The A5 queue growing can be caused by many reasons but primarily is due to insufficnet archiving window.  Perhaps you could look at increasing the number of processing thrads on archiving tasks (dont go mad though ;-)). Can you increase time window for archiving?

If you run an archiving report to see eligibility and review perfromance guide is there enough time to process all these items?

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Don,

The archiving window is roughly 12 hours. Each archiving task is doing 1 Exchange server, where each EV server has 3 tasks.
I see on 3 of my EV servers a little grow of the A5 queue. As far as I am aware, the A5 queue is the queue inidcating how many mailboxes need to be processed.

The exchangeservers in question are not having a lot more mailboxes, or mailboxsizes than the ones being handled ok.

Even when running archiving for a few days (friday 18:00 until monday 06:00) the queues stay with a number. The rest of the EVservers a5 queue drops to 0 on monday, indicating to me that all mailboxes have been processed.

I'll do some further checking to see what might be the reason.
Regards. Gertjan