cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV801 Vault Store DB Backup when archiving to Centera?

francisvd
Level 4
Partner
Hello forum,

I have a question about backing up the EV (8.0 SP1) SQL (2005) databases when archiving to a replicated Centera.
We don't backup the Centera, we just trust the replication.
We do use Centera collections, so there still could be some save sets on local EV drives.

So I wonder if there is still a need to put the Vault Store in 'Backup Mode' when starting the SQL backup of the Vault Store Database?
Or can we just do an online SQL backup of the Vault Store DB, without ever putting the Vault Store in backup mode?

Thanks in advance,

Francis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
How are you backing up your Index locations?  If you are not using some form of snapshot technology you would want to put the environment in Backup mode then.

If you are using snapshots for everything then you should be ok doing the online backups.  I will post this for your viewing pleasure: :)

Details:

To ensure an optimal running EV setup it is recommended to implement a backup procedure that includes cycling the EV services daily or regularly. Regularly restarting the EV services will help clear/reset MAPI resources that are in use or other resources that could not be cleared successfully.

1. Ensure that proper backup practices are followed and that at least the tasks (primarily the Agent tasks which comprise of Archiving, Retrieval, Journal, and Public Folder tasks) and Storage Services are all shut down as part of backup procedures. See the EV Administrator's Guide for further details.

2. As per Technote http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285130 , MAPI related issues can be avoided by restarting the services daily.

Enterprise Vault 8.0 and higher

With Enterprise Vault 8.0 and higher the Storage and Indexing services no longer need to be restarted when using the backup mode in Enterprise Vault 8.0. However the Task Controller service can still benefit from a restart to clear/reset MAPI resources that are in use.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling
How are you backing up your Index locations?  If you are not using some form of snapshot technology you would want to put the environment in Backup mode then.

If you are using snapshots for everything then you should be ok doing the online backups.  I will post this for your viewing pleasure: :)

Details:

To ensure an optimal running EV setup it is recommended to implement a backup procedure that includes cycling the EV services daily or regularly. Regularly restarting the EV services will help clear/reset MAPI resources that are in use or other resources that could not be cleared successfully.

1. Ensure that proper backup practices are followed and that at least the tasks (primarily the Agent tasks which comprise of Archiving, Retrieval, Journal, and Public Folder tasks) and Storage Services are all shut down as part of backup procedures. See the EV Administrator's Guide for further details.

2. As per Technote http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285130 , MAPI related issues can be avoided by restarting the services daily.

Enterprise Vault 8.0 and higher

With Enterprise Vault 8.0 and higher the Storage and Indexing services no longer need to be restarted when using the backup mode in Enterprise Vault 8.0. However the Task Controller service can still benefit from a restart to clear/reset MAPI resources that are in use.

francisvd
Level 4
Partner
Thanks Tony, I'll include a service cycle in my daily backup.

You seem to quote from "http://support.veritas.com/docs/290280", but is this also applicable to EV8?

I especially want users to be able to retrieve emails while the backup is running, so I cannot stop tasks like Retrieval etc.

Regards
Francis

TonySterling
Yes, that applies to EV 8 with the exception of stopping/restarting the Services and Task in read-only mode you will be placing the EV environment in backup mode.  Your users will be able to view archived emails whilst in backup mode. 

Cheers,