cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV80SP2 - Unable to perform search request.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello all,

I had this issue with 7.5 sp2 also, but closed issue due to an upgrade at hand.
After the upgrade (12 sept 2009) to 80SP2, the issue is still there.

When going from the workstation of a user to the directory-server, and opening the search-page, performing a search, search returns: Unable to perform search request.
When performing the search directly on the server where the archive is located, it works.

ie:
Open Internet Explorer
Goto : sitealias.domain.xxx/enterprisevault/search.asp
search
error

Open Internet Explorer
Goto : vaultserver.domain.xxx/enterprisevault/search.asp
search
succes

When investigating dtrace on the sitealias server, i see the below entries: (edited the domain and UsedServerName)

717 14:15:23.790  [3508] (w3wp) <8856> EV:H VaultCoCreateInstanceEx: An error occurred - RequestedServerName = [ALIAS.DOMAIN.XXX], UsedServerName = [IP-ADDRESS], hrCCI = [0x80070005], hrResultsQI = [0x80004005], NumTried = [6], bLocalMachine = [False]
718 14:15:23.790  [3508] (w3wp) <8856> EV:M CIndexServerPtr<T>::CreateServer (Exit) |Access is denied.  [0x80070005] |
719 14:15:23.790  [3508] (w3wp) <8856> EV:M CIndexServerPtr<T>::GetIndexServerPtr (Exit) |Access is denied.  [0x80070005] |
720 14:15:23.790  [3508] (w3wp) <8856> EV:H CIndexSearch2::PerformSearch Search failed with 'normal' error: hr=Access is denied.  [0x80070005].
721 14:15:23.790  [3508] (w3wp) <8856> EV:L CIndexSearch2::FinalRelease

I checked the settings in IIS (which I believe are the problem), but these appear to be set correct.
Does anyone have an idea what to change to get this working?

As an extra, when performing this action from within Outlook (Search Safe, Browser Search) it works fine too. (as that takes me directly to my archiveserver.)

Thanks.

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
We're now using the browsersearch via the Search Safe button from within Outlook.
As this directs the user to his vaultserver, it works.

closing.
Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Thanks for looking and pointing to a possible solution.
Regards. Gertjan

Frank_Beck
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Gertjan,

If you look at the properties of the archive you are searching, it will show you which indexing service is managing that archive's index.

Are there any DCOM errors in the System event log on the Server running that indexing service (Regardless of which server you accessing search.asp on) when this error is generated?

Best Regards,

Frank

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I mentioned this in the other post - everything seems to point to DCOM permissions issues, but they most probably won't be logged in the System log.  You will need to setup DCOM error logging as per MS article support.microsoft.com/kb/892500

Can you also check C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet.config , look for the line <legacyImpersonationPolicy enabled="true"/> - is it true or false? If False, set to True and try again.

GertjanA
We're now using the browsersearch via the Search Safe button from within Outlook.
As this directs the user to his vaultserver, it works.

closing.
Regards. Gertjan