cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot grant access of one vault store to another user

dorlow615
Level 4

Ok, this is an extremely common request at our company.  I have one vault user that has received all approvals to gain access to a terminated user's vault.  This one user, he cannot view the terminated user's vault.  When attempting to view the vault, he receives the error "failed to perform the search request."

First, I granted our admin service account full access to the vault store.  I opened up IE as the admin service and I was able to view the vault store with no problem which tells me there's nothing wrong with the index.  Whatever the problem is at is on the user's access.  While I was having him do this test, I asked the user to login to a different PC and try opening the other person's vault and he received the same error.  

I just called the user and remotted into his PC.  I opened IE as the vault admin service account and attempted to open the vault store.  I received the same error which threw out my theory completely that it was somehow related to the requestor's rights.  

I can't seem to narrow it down to one component.

15 REPLIES 15

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

Have you given the user full access to the terminated user's archive? You need to give access on the archive not the vault store.

--Virgil

Sorry, using the wrong terminology.  I gave the reqeustor full access to the archive.

VirgilDobos

Hi there,

Have you tried checking if the requestor archive's index is not failed?

If that's not the case, zap the mailbox, then try again.

How to remove (ZAP) Enterprise Vault (EV) properties from Archive-Enabled Exchange mailboxes: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000028255

--Virgil

Attached is an image of the index volumes tab for the archive.  It appears to be correct.  (I rebuilt the index yesterday.)

I zapped the archive and readded the permissions to the archive yesterday.

VirgilDobos

Yes, the index looks healthy. 

As a test, can you try to give permissions to another account and see if he/she can access the archive?

If the problem persists, please share a client trace for review.

--Virgil

I granted my non-admin user access to the archive and I receive the same error.

Attached is a client trace log.

VirgilDobos

Hi there, I see no errors in the logs really. As you stated, you can access the archive with the VSA, hence nothing wrong with the index. Also, this is the only problematic archive.

I suggest you log a case with Veritas so that they have a deeper look at this.

--Virgil

GertjanA

Hello, what I would try before calling support:

Close Internet Explorer. Start, controle panel, Internet options. Delete the defaults. Click Settings, View Files. select all files, delete them. View Objects, select all objects delete them.

Close options screen. if your account is local admin, go to the folder where the EV client is installed, and run resetevclient. If you are not local admin, open a cmd as local admin, run the same. when done, reboot.

When rebooted, try again.

Regards. Gertjan

We have no support with Veritas.  They've given me a few "give-me" support cases.  But they give me a really guilt trip everytime I call.  I think the last time I called, they refused to log a case.

I don't think GertjanA solution will work.  This is stating it's a "one PC" issue.  The user has tried two different PCs and I get the same error when opening the archive directly from the server.  So, I've tried accessing the archive on 3 different machines.

VirgilDobos

Is this archive that you are trying to give access to the only problematic one?

--Virgil

I have 3 different archives having this problem.  2 are on the same vault store.  1 is on a different one.

VirgilDobos

I would suggest rebuilding the index volumes for one of these archives and see if this helps.

--Virgil

I rebuilt the index of one user.  Didn't help.  I moved the index to a different index server.  Same problem.  Index status is normal.  But same error "failed to perform the search request."  The vault admin account can view the archive without problem still.