cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVA 4000 mand 8000 hardware compatibility for storage

Gonza
Level 5
Hi, anyone knows if this hard is compatible with ev 8.0, because in the compatibility list doesn't appears.

Thanks!!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You mean for Vault Stores? EVA is SAN Storage, I think, so "standard" NTFS, which is supported. Take a look at Page 21 of the Compatibility guide: Symantec supports archiving from Enterprise Vault to any high-performing storage product running Windows NTFS that is accessed using the CIFS protocol and that operates in non-WORM/non-compliance mode. Cheers Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You mean for Vault Stores? EVA is SAN Storage, I think, so "standard" NTFS, which is supported. Take a look at Page 21 of the Compatibility guide: Symantec supports archiving from Enterprise Vault to any high-performing storage product running Windows NTFS that is accessed using the CIFS protocol and that operates in non-WORM/non-compliance mode. Cheers Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Depending on the IOPS you expect to hit the EVA device with

The EVA devices use VLUN's. This basically means that you are going to get the dedicated number of IOPS per LUN as you would on a SAN that creates real LUN's

If the EVA device is being used for another application as well as Enterprise Vailt and if you expect to have a lot of users in EV then I would realy watch the number of spindles and IOPS you get when running your applications

We have found that because of the VLUN's and because at one time our EVA was being used for file storage for the user population as well as EV indexes and databases the IOPS the EVA could provide were not sufficent to meet our needs.

We neded up changing and dedicating an EMC SAN to the EV environment because it created real LUN's and we could spec out the exact IOPS per LUN, something that we were unable to do on the EVA

Also you may find that if you ever get disk failures on the EVA and you have a large amount of data the EVA will always be leveling. This adds overhead to the disk IO and may decrease VLUN IO performance

Personally I have had a bad experience with EVA hardware and thats why we moved to a "real SAN" where we could build real RAID and dedicate disk instead of the HP EVA VLUN attempt at making a SAN idiot proof

You know what they say....when you make it idiot proof they just build better idiots

Gonza
Level 5
Hi Scanner001, do you know how many numbero of iops I have to dedicate to the luns. The customer is asking me to define the size of the luns.

Thanks you very much!!!

GP

AFed
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi,

The performance of an EVA storage depends on the number of physical disk drives situated in your disk group. I advise you to do an EVAPERF to get some mesure about the occupation and the troughtput  of your existing disk group.

About the size of the LUN, i advise you to create your vdisk arroud 200 or 300 Go, this will helpfull to mange your partition state  (Open, ready, close) and improve your backup window.

GL