cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVPS** .tmp files with FSA

Murr38
Level 4
Partner

I have a problem with Enterprise Vault File Server Archving...

On a couple target File servers, EV is creating hundreds of GB's of EVPS****.tmp files.

I saw an old post someone had re: McAfee and EV - but I am not running ePO.

I am running EV 8.02 and the target file servers are 2003 server.

How can I safely remove these files (literally hundreds of them) that are plugging up my file servers?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Maverik
Level 6

The temp files are probably created during recalls.  The question is why are they not being removed after the file has sucessfully opened etc.  Have you tried running process monitor and capturing this occurring?

Maverik
Level 6

Hi,

Do you still require assitance with this?

Murr38
Level 4
Partner

I sure do.

You are right - they "probably" were created during a recall, and the question is why were they not removed automatically. 

I have upgraded the FSA agent on the File server in question- as it was 1 Version behind.  I guess we forgot to update that one when we rolled the SP on our Vault servers.  Am monitoring it still...

I am not crazy about probably's....

Murr38
Level 4
Partner

Hi.

So this is re-occuring problem.

I have upgraded to EV 8 SP4 but same issue.  There are over 70GB of EVPS.tmp files.

Officially opening support call. 

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You are correct in the fact that these files are generated by recalls. I think there are only two ways around this that I can think of:-

1. Create a batch file to delete ev*.tmp files and have this run on the task scheduler

2. Within the admin service there is some code to delete temp files on the EV server which runs every hour and by default deletes files that are older than 24 hours by using the LastAccessedDate. Essentially what this does is find the temp folder and then deletes files that fall under 1 of the following conditions:-

EV$*.* 

~DF*.TMP

So in your case the first condition would suffice but normally on a file server there is no admin service installed. I have not tested this but I am thinking if you do not want to do option one you could install the EV binaries and have the admin service started only so that this code runs. You can also change the default of 24 hours to any value you like by using the following registry key:-

HKLM\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\AdminService\DelFilesOlderThanHours

Essentially though for ease I would just go for option 1 as this will stop you having to install unnecessary EV binaries.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I thought I had written about this before, but I couldn't find my record of it so here it is :

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/cleaning-temp-files

(It might take a short while for the blog to be published)

Working for cloudficient.com

Murr38
Level 4
Partner

Hi guys.

Thanks for the responses. 

So scripting the removal of the files is an option using the batch file and scheduler I guess - but to me, it feels a little crazy.

An Enterprise Class File server archiving solution that requires manual mop up?  Those two just don't go together!

Is this a known issue - or is this an issue that will be resolved in future revisions?  And why is this behaviors not consistent across all my file servers - ?

Seems like there are a few holes...

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Did you take a look at the blog entry I made, and check out what's happening on your environment ?

Working for cloudficient.com