cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault 10.4 Shortcut deletion question.

nickt2
Level 4

Hi Guys

I wonder if someone could anwer a question regarding EV10 regarding shortcut deletion under the policies. I have been having issue with "Delete shortcuts in folders" option. We have set this to 13months and it doesnt appear to be taking effect once I run the task. The archiving process works fine.

Shortcuts.JPG

I spoke to someone at Symantec and they suggested that the deletion process is done based on the "modified date" and not the "receive date".  Is this the case and can it be changed?

We need to ensure that shortcuts are deleted accurately after 13 months.  It is also possible to delete non emails via a policy which have not been shortcuted.

Thanks

Nick

4 REPLIES 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So what is the last modified date on the shortcuts?  Are you running the task with the shortcut processing option?

Working for cloudficient.com

nickt2
Level 4

Hi Rob

I appreciate the quick response. Taking a users mailbox as an example, the modied date on email shortcuts is 24/11/2004, which I assume is the day I archived the mailbox.  I am running the task  with "Archiving and Shortcut Processing"  The receive date of the emails vary from  30/09/2013  to 7/11/2014.

If we archive a user mailbox with shortcuts after 30 days, and have a delete shortcuts set at 13 months, does this mean that we will need wait upto another year before they are eligible for deletion ?

Thanks

Nick

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

The shortcut deletion runs based on the archived or modified date (as set in the Storage Expiry).  So if you archive @ 30 days and want shortcuts deleted when the item is 13 months old you need to set your shortcut deletion for 12 months.  Shortcut deletion is part of the archive process and runs nightly.  Thus an email is archvie at +30 days and then the shortcut is removed 12 months later when the original item is 13 months old.

nickt2
Level 4

Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses.  Out Storage expiry is not current running as we are awaiting authorisation for email vault expiry ( this will be 7 years ).  Storage expiry is set based on archive date, with no current schedule.

Our main concern is just getting the current shortcuted emails to delete after 13 months as we only want to keep just over 1 year of live emails in Exchange.

Would it be possible for me to change the storage expiry to "modified date" , then run te archive taks in order to delete the shortcuts within the above requirement.  I can then change it back.  I want to be sure that no vault items are deleted as I am awaiting approval on this.

Does this sound like an viable option.

Thanks

Nick