cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault 8 and Message Queuing in a Microsoft Cluster

Dave_Tammi
Level 4
Well, I finally got the cluster resources created (thanks Tony), but the storage and task controller services will not come on-line.

Strangely enough, I get MSMQ errors even though the Message Queuing service starts without error and there is no direct dependancy from the storage and task controller resources.

If I look at the services list, the entries for the Enterprise Vault Storage Service and Task Controller service have the "default" message queuing service listed as a dependancy. The cluster message queuing resource service is not listed.

Lastly, both of the message queueing services log on as "local system" instead of the service account we created for Vault (that I am logged in as, by the way)

This is giving an old guy grey hair (no plural).

Thanks for any assistance.

Dave
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BravoZulu
Level 5
Hi Dave,

On my Windows 2003 Cluster (EV8.0 SP3) my Storage and TaskController services are only dependent upon the DirectoryService, nothing else. 

Have you tried to run Update Service Locations?  I had to do this when I changed the Network Name on my cluster, the Indexing, TaskController and Stroage Services kept failing.  USL should update the service entry identifier for your services.

Thanks,
BK

[Boring] Note:
Just a note on MSMQ in a cluster:  On a cluster you have MSMQ installed on each node.  Each node has its own MSMQ installed locally (not part of the cluster).  When the cluster is being configured and you create an MSMQ resource, the PhysicalDisk resource that you add as a dependency for the MSMQ resource will become the disk/folder for the MSMQ data on the cluster.  The MSMQ that is installed on each node is completely seperate from the cluster.  If you want to see the queues on the cluster then read this article;
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295585.htm

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hey Dave,

were there any issues when you set the MSMQ up as a clustered resource?

Cheers

jajensen
Level 4
Partner
You should be able to go into the cluster manager and change the dependancy in Storage and Task Controller resources from the local MSMQ to the clustered, yes?  Should just be a matter of removing the one and adding the other in each of those resources.

Dave_Tammi
Level 4
Hi Guys,

Tony: I didn't get any errors creating the resource, but I had to start the default message queueing service to be able to change the storage location. I then had to stop this service to be able to bring the clustered resource on-line.

jajensen: The dependencies shown for the service did not appear for the cluster resource.

This is making my head hurt.

Dave

BravoZulu
Level 5
Hi Dave,

On my Windows 2003 Cluster (EV8.0 SP3) my Storage and TaskController services are only dependent upon the DirectoryService, nothing else. 

Have you tried to run Update Service Locations?  I had to do this when I changed the Network Name on my cluster, the Indexing, TaskController and Stroage Services kept failing.  USL should update the service entry identifier for your services.

Thanks,
BK

[Boring] Note:
Just a note on MSMQ in a cluster:  On a cluster you have MSMQ installed on each node.  Each node has its own MSMQ installed locally (not part of the cluster).  When the cluster is being configured and you create an MSMQ resource, the PhysicalDisk resource that you add as a dependency for the MSMQ resource will become the disk/folder for the MSMQ data on the cluster.  The MSMQ that is installed on each node is completely seperate from the cluster.  If you want to see the queues on the cluster then read this article;
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295585.htm