cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Add-In Doesn't Automatically Load

Aaron_A
Level 3

I don't know if anyone will be able to answer this, but I thought I'd give it a try.  I have a Windows 7 x64 SP1 image that I'm pushing out to computers and when I login to the computer with an account and launch Outlook the Enterprise Vault add-in doesn't load.  I don't get the Enterprise Vault ribbon tab and it doesn't show in the File menu.  If I look at the options I can see Enterprise Vault in the list of Active Application Add-ins and if I go to manage add-ins and uncheck Enterprise Vault, close Outlook, open it and check it everything loads up (the ribbon tab and in the file menu), without restarting Outlook.  Has anyone see this before?  I know it's sort of a generic question but I thought someone here might have an idea why it isn't loading automatically, even thought it's in the list of active add-ins.

I'm using:

Windows 7 x64 SP1, Outlook 2010 (32-bit), and the Enterprise Vault HTTP-Only Add-In (version 9.0.9377, according to add/remove programs)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

if its not loading the first time that outlook is ever launched, its most likely because when it first launches, it starts to build the OST and the hidden message doesn't exist as soon as Outlook opens, so the EV Client doesn't load up

however when you restart outlook, the ev plugin sees the hidden message and see's its enabled and then opens correctly.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JesusWept3
Level 6

Try unchecking outlook anywhere, and restart

its most likely because the desktop policy is set to disable the client when RPC over http is enabled

if you set it to be normal behavior and then resycn the user, it shouldn't matter when outlook goes in to outlook anywhere mode etc

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Aaron_A
Level 3

I just checked and the Outlook Anywhere box isn't checked when I start up Outlook for the first time.  Would it still be possible that it's a setting for the client that is stopping the add-in from loading?

Thanks!

[EDIT] I just checked the settings and the RPC over HTTP is set to Disable User Extensions.  Even though Outlook wasn't set to use Outlook Anywhere would this matter?

JesusWept3
Level 6

The thing about outlook anywhere is it will enable itself when outlook detects that it has a slow connection, i've seen this on vpns and even within a local area network, so it may unchecked now, but it can just as easily enable itself at any time

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Targets are added to the Provisioning Group.

1. In the left pane of the Administration Console, expand Targets.

2. Expand the Exchange domain that you added.

3. Click Provisioning Group.

Open your Provisioning Group and you will be able to add Targets on the Targets tab

Aaron_A
Level 3

Andrew thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this.  I initially didn't repsond to your comment because when I load this post your comment only shows as a period, not other text at all.  I was looking through my email though and saw your reply:

you say "with an account" but are you sure that the user you're logged in with is enabled for archiving? if you're using a service account or something like that for testing, typically those arent enabled in EV like a regular user would be

I think this may be the issue, I moved the user I'm using to a new Test OU and if I look at the targets for our default Exchange Mailbox policy that OU isn't part of it.  I cannot find where I add Targets to the poilcy though.  On the Targets tab there's no buttons to add/edit/remove any of the targets.

[EDIT] Thought I was on the right track, but I don't think so now.  I figured out how to look at the provisioning groups and the user I'm testing with is in a provisioning group that it linked to user accounts not OU's

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified

Can you check what your desktop policy is for Automatically re-enabling the plug-in? Additionally you may want to get a client trace to see if you can see what may be causing this.

Have you tried/tested this with the new 10.0.1 client which has had a lot of work done with it in general for support of Outlook 2010?

lastly I am not entirely sure what version of the client you are using. Can you kindly repost that as well and double check the build?

Aaron_A
Level 3

I've pushed the image out to a test computer again and this time before I tried anything else I just opened Outlook, closed it and opened it again.  The add-in loaded when I opened it the second time.  I don't know why it isn't loading the first time Outlook is launched, but I can live with this workaround.  Thanks for everyones help and time.

JesusWept3
Level 6

if its not loading the first time that outlook is ever launched, its most likely because when it first launches, it starts to build the OST and the hidden message doesn't exist as soon as Outlook opens, so the EV Client doesn't load up

however when you restart outlook, the ev plugin sees the hidden message and see's its enabled and then opens correctly.