cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Application Service Account Question

DP
Level 4

We have recently deployed Enterprise Vault 2007.  Per a "Best Practice" document provided by Symantec, we configured the application to run under a service account.  The service account is a local admin on the Enterprise Vault server as well as every target server.  The entire configuration has been done with this particular service account.  I must log in to the Enterprise Vault application server with the service account to be able to launch and use the Management Console to administer the application.

I am getting ready to archive data from shares that reside on a File and Print server.  Obviously, the service account needs to have "Full" security permissions to the shares and their contents to be able to successfully archive the data.  Due to the criticality of some of the data residing on those shares (personal home drives), our Security group has voiced their concerns from a security perspective and does not feel comfortable granting the service account "Full" or "Modify" security permissions because they feel that sensitive information may be compromised.

Is there a way or is it possible to provision a second service account that I can use to log in to the Enterprise Vault application server and launch the Management Console and do my administration work without interfering with the other service account? I would like to keep the existing configuration as is while being able to use the other service account for administrative purposes at the same time without breaking the existing configuration.

Please advice.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Sortid
Level 6
You can set up administrators for EV through the admin console.  Log in as the service account to the console.  Right-click the Directory on ... and goto Authorisation manager.  Here you can set up users and roles for administering EV.  Add your account to what ever role you require. 

DP
Level 4
Thank you for the valuable information.  This helped!