cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Mailbox Archiving task fails to start (EV 8.0.2)

JuhaA
Level 2
Hi,

I have a problem with Enterprise Vault 8.0.2. After updating to SP2 EV started logging DCOM errors in the eventlog:

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID ..."

I fixed that by giving the permission and DCOM errors didn't show up anymore.

About a day after fixing this DCOM problem I started getting following MAPI errors:

"Could not get a MAPI session from the session pool. Error: An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers  [0x80040201] ..."

...and now the archiving task won't start anymore, giving following errors to the eventlog:

EVENT ID 3377:

"A network error has been reported by ConfigureMsgService.  It may be due to a problem contacting a Global Catalogue Server. "

EVENT ID 3305:

"The Task 'Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for OUR_SERVER' failed to log on to Exchange server 'OUR_SERVER' using mailbox 'SMTP:our_user@our_domain'. Please ensure the mailbox has not been hidden, that the server is running and that the Vault account has sufficient permissions on the server. "

Mailbox is not hidden, server is running and the permissions are ok. This has been working already before and there hasn't been any permission etc changes.

Trace log records following events, when trying to start the archiving task:

CAgentTask::Initialise - Opening a MAPI session to verify privileged access to Exchange server [OUR_SERVER] using mailbox [SMTP:our_user@our_domain]
CMailboxHelper::CreateProfileAndSession - Failed to contact server SMTP:our_user@our_domain due to a network error
Event ID: 3377 A network error has been reported by ConfigureMsgService.  It may be due to a problem contacting a Global Catalogue Server.
CAgentTask::Initialise - Failed to open privileged MAPI session - aborting agent startup, error [80040115]

I've tried to troubleshoot this using all the Symantec articles I've found here, but I'm running out of ideas now...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I assume you have tried this?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/324979 E-Mail Colleague IconE-Mail this document to a colleague
Event ID 3377 is generated when the Enterprise Vault (EV) tasks fail after an install of Enterprise Vault 8.0

Details:
Event Type:       Error
Event Source:    Enterprise Vault
Event Category: None
Event ID:           3377
Description:
A network error has been reported by ConfigureMsgService.  It may be due to a problem contacting a Global Catalogue Server.  

Solution:
Add the Closest GC registry key on each EV server experiencing the issue.

Refer to Microsoft article 319206 for more information on the Closest GC registry key.

Supplemental Material:

System: Ref.# Description
Event ID: 3377 A network error has been reported by ConfigureMsgService. It may be due to a problem contacting a Global Catalogue Server.
Acknowledgements
Microsoft article 319206

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling
I assume you have tried this?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/324979 E-Mail Colleague IconE-Mail this document to a colleague
Event ID 3377 is generated when the Enterprise Vault (EV) tasks fail after an install of Enterprise Vault 8.0

Details:
Event Type:       Error
Event Source:    Enterprise Vault
Event Category: None
Event ID:           3377
Description:
A network error has been reported by ConfigureMsgService.  It may be due to a problem contacting a Global Catalogue Server.  

Solution:
Add the Closest GC registry key on each EV server experiencing the issue.

Refer to Microsoft article 319206 for more information on the Closest GC registry key.

Supplemental Material:

System: Ref.# Description
Event ID: 3377 A network error has been reported by ConfigureMsgService. It may be due to a problem contacting a Global Catalogue Server.
Acknowledgements
Microsoft article 319206

TonySterling
If you have tried the above, are you able to open the system mailbox in Outlook on the EV Server?

JuhaA
Level 2
Hi,

Thanks for quick answers!

Yes I tried setting the closest GC registry key, but no help there. And yes, I am able to open this system mailbox in EV server.

I was wondering this trace log entry:

"CreateProfileAndSession - Failed to contact server SMTP:our_user@our_domain due to a network error"

Shouldn't there be some server name instead of this "SMTP:our_user@our_domain"? Is it somehow trying to contact a wrong Exchange server and where could I check that?

TonySterling
for clarification:
SMTP:our_user@our_domain" = your system mailbox, correct?

You can view the information for that on the properties of the Archive Task for that Exchange server.
Does that system mailbox reside on the exchange server?

JuhaA
Level 2
Yes, that is the system mailbox for EV and it is located on the exchange server.

TonySterling
ok, you might try just deleting the current task and re-creating it.

It might be worth double checking the Closest GC registry key to make sure it was set correctly. I have seen this not put in the right  place more than once. ;)

JuhaA
Level 2
Ok, and now you have seen it once again...the registry path really was wrong. :)

No more event id 3377 (GC error), but the archiving task won't still start, even after recreating it. I still get event id 3305 and 2256 errors.

I even tried recreating the system mailbox, but no help.

Edit: Btw, EV server and service account are in a different AD domain (trusted) than exchange server...but as I said before, this has been working fine already...

Edit2: Trace log shows now following error when trying to start the task:

"CMailboxHelper::CreateProfileAndSession - Address [SMTP:our_user@our_domain] not found in address book. Please ensure the mailbox has not been hidden, that the server is running and that the Vault account has sufficient permissions on the server."

So I guess, I'll have to wait for Global Address List to replicate and update...

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Do you need any more assistance with this?
If a post solved your problem, can you mark that as the Solution?

Thanks & Regards
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.