cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Management Console / System Manager

Norbert_M_
Level 4

Hi

I’m using Eenterprise Vault 2007 SP3 for archiving Exchange Server 2007. I noticed that Outlook 2003 SP2 has to be installed on the EV Server (Bug with OL2003 SP3, OL2007). I read that the Exchange Console hast to be installed on the EV Server too. And it has to be ESM 2003 instead the Management Console from Exchange Server 2007. But, why do I need to install this Exchange System Manager? Will EV not work without, or what exactly will not work?

Thanks

Norbert

4 REPLIES 4

sym_se_support0
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
From Enterprise Vault 7.0 SP3 onwards, it is possible to run an Exchange mailbox archiving task or Journaling task without installing ESM on the Enterprise Vault server.

This is from the Compatibility Guide page 25:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/276547.pdf

Norbert_M_
Level 4
Cool Thanks! What's exactly this feature "The ability to synchronize inherited permissions from the Exchange server to users' archives requires ESM to be installed on the Enterprise Vault server."?

Can also tell me, if it's OK to install the "EV Outlook-Add-In" on the EVault Server's Outlook?

Thanks
Norbert

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

The client is already there on there you don't need to install it.

sym_se_support0
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
What does this actually mean?

Case 1: Bill has been granted access to Ben's mailbox by an admin via Active DIrectory Users and Computers. This access will be synced to Ben's archive WITHOUT needing ESM on the EV server

Case 2: Bill has been granted access to Ben's mailbox by Ben via Outlook client permissions. This access will be synced to Ben's archive WITHOUT needing ESM on the EV server

Case 3: Bill has be granted access to all mailboxes on a server by an admin setting permissions at the server level (via various methods including ESM 2003 and ADSI Edit). This access will be synced to all archives BUT ONLY IF ESM 2003 is on the EV server.

Case 3 is actually pretty rare. If you need to give someone access to all archives you do it through EVPM.