cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude senders from journaling

ZeNick
Level 4

Hello,

I may have missed something basic but I'm looking for a way to exclude specific messages from journaling.

Exchange 2007/EV9 sp1

I can't create a "Journaling Rule" from Exchange because we don't manage Exchange at the Organizational Unit level and don't have the rights to create such a rule.

I also tried to set up a rule in the Outlook client to delete those messages but the journal mailbox seems to lock when the rule is processed.

Thank you for yuor help.

3 REPLIES 3

Maverik
Level 6

Hi,

Have a look at the filtering sections in the attached EV 9 Exchange Archiving Section to see if that will help.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You can use this as a workaround
1. Create and set a folder behavior
Create a folder in the Journal Mailbox, call it whatever you want.
Right click the folder and click the Enterprise Vault tab
Click the change button and uncheck "Use parent folder settings", this should make the actions interactive
Click the "Do not archive this folder" radio button, click OK to commit (if you get a popup regarding Write permissions, click OK)
The folder is now set to "Do not archive"
2. Create a Rule in Outlook
Right click the message and select "Create Rule"
You can check either box (or Both) From "XYZ and/or Subject (you can edit the line for subject) to set the condition
Check the Move e-mail to folder: checkbox and select the folder you created in Step 1
What this should do is move the messages from the " XYZ"out of the inbox and to the "Do not archive" folder. Now there is a possibility that journaling could pick up the mail before it can be moved so it's not bullet proof, but this rule should help out tremendously. Of course you will need to log into the Journal mailbox occasionally and manually delete all the mails in the "no archive" folder (so the journal mailbox does not get too large).

ZeNick
Level 4

Thank you for your answers,

ArchivingCentral, I've read the filtering section and it could have been a great help but it seems that we can only specify a list of filers to archive items. Items that do not match the rules can be deleted but as we only want to exclude few senders, this can't help.

RahulG, I'm going to try your solution but I've already tested rules on the the Outlok client and it seems to hang the journaling.

I'll keep you informed.