cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expiry with Collections turned on.

Donnal_Spence
Level 4

I have had collections on for about 5 years now. We recently implimented expiry policies and I am not seeing the disk space gain one would expect.  I found an article that states "When running expiry to delete items from the vault, collected items stay in the CAB thus consuming disk space until there are less than 15 (by default) 'active' items in the collection at which point they become DVS files again. Each CAB may contain up to 1000 DVS files".

The article does not state versions this applies to so I am assuming it would be all versions as of the date the articel was published. My question is, has anyone ran into this and if so did you find a way to clear out the expired items without using uncollect.exe on your stores? Is this resolved in the latest or future releases? I am currently running 8.0 sp3 with the usage report showing I have 4.2 terabytes in the system and windows explore showing I have 8.4 terabytes on the disk.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Donnal.

The first question is:

You implemented expiry. How?

If you created a new retention category, then anything not having that retention will not be handled. If you changed the retention category, that should affect all archived data.

As you say that you have 8.4 on disk, instead of 4.2 in the usage report, can you check your storage for files having an arch in the extention: *.archdvs, *.archcab, *.archdvsp and *.archdvsc

Mainly the *.archcab ones.

These are actual dvs, cab, dvvsp and dvsc files that are being recalled (as a user retrieves an item, or by expiry maybe), and can safely be deleted. that might explain the huge difference.

Are you expiring by archived or modified date. What is your expiry set to?

Regards. Gertjan

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Donnal_Spence
Level 4

Thanks for the article on CABS and how they work. I found an article where I can set the Spare Collections percentage. However I would need enormous amounts of diskspace to modify that setting. I guess we will wait for the 30% threshold to be hit and keep adding a new terabyte to our EV server every 3 months.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH87400&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...