cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Archive permissions

Stewart_Jump
Level 2

Hi,

I know it is possible to use permissionsbrowser to view the permissions on a mailbox archive and the sub folders and how to use ZAP and EVPM to wipe the permissions and start again.

Whqt I am after is a way of exporting the permissions on the archives so that we can find where they are set and also add it to our auditing of mailbox permissions where a report is sent every quarter to the suer saying what permisosns othere users ahve over there mailbox and all sub folders. I reckon the data is there if permissionbrowser can read it but try to workout which tables to use looks to be a complete nightmare

This is because we have a lot of users who move roles frequently and they have been given rights on various users folders over the years and this is becoming more obvious as we are deleting old shortcuts and making them use the search tools so they see the other archives.

Thanks

Stewart Jump

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

well you can zap permissions any time you want, the folders that exist in Outlook will be given the permissions inherited from there, the folders that only exist in the archive will only be accessible to the owner (For instance if you give UserB permission to your folder, and delete the folder from outlook, UserB can still access the folder through Archive Explorer, however after a zap, UserB will lose permission to that folder)

The permissions are held in the database but in a binary format that you would need to have access to the source code or reverse engineer through other means to determine what permissions exist outside of permissions browser

So for the moment you are stuck with manually going through perms browser and copying out the details, would suggest putting through an enhancements request in the ideas section.

There is also no way to export the permissions, zap a mailbox then re-apply the permissions based on what is given through permissions browser

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Stewart_Jump
Level 2

I sort of expected it was this was going to be the answer. :(

1200 live mailboxes and 3000 old archives makes manual checking a non starter so lets hope the bossess are happy with zapping all the rights

Thanks

Stewart

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You can also turn off permission inheritance too
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146