Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA Archiving with NetAPP Filers

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi all
I have a few questions about File Server Archiving against NetApp Filers.
I am half way through an implementation of EV 8 with a customer for Exchange archiving and now they want to add  the FSA component into the mix.
Its a while since I have done FSA archiving and always against normal Windows NTFS SAN based data shares, as email is my real area and not used NetAPP filer before .

They have bought a new NetApp Filer and want to consolidate all data to it, and then archive from the NetAPP Filer... Questions below
  • Do Placeholder shortcuts work correctly when created on NetApp filers (I am assuming ONTAP 7.x as its a new device but I have asked the question)
  • If so are there any limitations
  • Are there any backup issues to look out for such as recalling the data as I have heard about when the NetAPPs are backed up
  • Are there any gotchas or differences in configuring EV to archive from a NETAPP Filer instead of a normal WIndows server.
Any help would be appreciated and what questions I need to be asking. The current EV server is using a normal SAN for its Indexes and email archive.

Thanks
Julian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Darren_Locke
Level 6
Employee
Q. Do Placeholder shortcuts work correctly when created on NetApp filers (I am assuming ONTAP 7.x as its a new device but I have asked the question)

A. Yes - look and behave just like the ones on windows.

Q. If so are there any limitations

A. The NetApp API's do not allow us to set the accurate 'size on disk' so if you look at the properties of a NetApp placeholder, the file size and size on disk will both show the same size. You may think there's been no space saving, but if you look in the NetApp console, you will see the saving realised there.

Q. Are there any backup issues to look out for such as recalling the data as I have heard about when the NetAPPs are backed up

A. Typically no. If you are using SnapShot or NDMP, then the placeholders will not get recalled. If you are doing a file level backup, then there is the change of recall is the backup software is not offlne aware. You can exclude the backup service account from performing recalls if needed.

Q. Are there any gotchas or differences in configuring EV to archive from a NETAPP Filer instead of a normal WIndows server.

A. Read the FSA admin guide (much expanded in v8 SP1). The config is different but is well detailed in the manuals.

Darren

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Darren_Locke
Level 6
Employee
Q. Do Placeholder shortcuts work correctly when created on NetApp filers (I am assuming ONTAP 7.x as its a new device but I have asked the question)

A. Yes - look and behave just like the ones on windows.

Q. If so are there any limitations

A. The NetApp API's do not allow us to set the accurate 'size on disk' so if you look at the properties of a NetApp placeholder, the file size and size on disk will both show the same size. You may think there's been no space saving, but if you look in the NetApp console, you will see the saving realised there.

Q. Are there any backup issues to look out for such as recalling the data as I have heard about when the NetAPPs are backed up

A. Typically no. If you are using SnapShot or NDMP, then the placeholders will not get recalled. If you are doing a file level backup, then there is the change of recall is the backup software is not offlne aware. You can exclude the backup service account from performing recalls if needed.

Q. Are there any gotchas or differences in configuring EV to archive from a NETAPP Filer instead of a normal WIndows server.

A. Read the FSA admin guide (much expanded in v8 SP1). The config is different but is well detailed in the manuals.

Darren

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi Darren
Thanks for the quick response.
Good news about the placeholders still working on NetApps.
I will check with them about the backups as the NetAPP is run by a third party
Yes I have been reading the manuals that came with RTM V8 I will download the SP1 ones and have a read
Thanks

Julian

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Julian

Any news here?
Are you satisfied with this answer?
If yes, could you mark this topic as solved?

Thanks & Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi Michel
Yes thanks been so busy forgot to mark as complete
Julian