cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA - Not enough disk space

Michael_Folks
Level 4
I am using FSA on a file server which is 900GB in size, of that I am currently only archiving about 40GB. So what I see when I do a properties on the disk is 897GB used and 857GB on disk. So windows is only reporting about 3GB of free diskspace when in actuallity there is 43GB of free diskspace. This wouldn't be a problem if it still allowed users to create/move new items to the disk, but they receive "Not enought disk space" and doesn't allow them to add new items to the disk. I tested this by copying 5GB worth of files, with windows only showing 3GB free. I get the same error message. I know I can modify the registry to show 0kb on the files, but have read this is not best practice. I would have thought that the placeholder service would intercept the copy and allow to be copied anyway but this does not seem to be the case either. So how do I get around this?

Thanks,

Michael
7 REPLIES 7

the_Dodo
Level 3
Hi,
I don't *think* this is an EV issue. I suggest starting a call with Microsoft and see what they say and then come back here.

Michael_Folks
Level 4
Not sure if it is an OS issue. It was my understanding that the placeholder service would communicate what the actual size was to the OS instead of the OS calculating the file sizes. Any confirmation or clarification would be appreciated.

Michael

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Yeah,

Somebody really needs to speak to this, cause having FSA with file size emulation turned on is misleading at best. When admins and other prog's look at their boxes, they see the unarchived (or emulated) size...which is dumb (in my humble opinion). How does the common admin figure out what's actually going on storage wise?

micah

Michael_Folks
Level 4
I have called in a ticket and hope to get a resolution/information on this...I would have thought someone on the forums would have been able to address this, but once I find out the answer, I will post it.

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Good luck man...do post cause I hate this issue.

micah

Michael_Folks
Level 4
This was not actually an issue. I finally figured what the problem was. The end users were filling up the volume. The 880GB volume actually had 950GB worth of data on it.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Pesky EndUsers! ;)

Thanks for the update.