cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA a viable option for this? Oracle dumps.

ianG
Level 5

Hi folks,

We have a need to store Oracle export dumps from one of our systems for 7 years.

Looks to be approx 44GB of data a month.

The current export that is run creates files of approx 4GB each

We're on EV8.0.4, archiving to Centera - which I believe has a max file size limitation of 2GB.

So, if I manage to get the db team to create suitable size files for this (changing their export scripts), would you say that this dataset is suitable for EV FSA? Any gotcha's?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

hey ian,
Did you ever get the answer you need?
You cando what you're looking for, but like you said you willhave to split it, just not entirely sure why you'd do that, i guess its in place of backups or in addition to backups?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ianG
Level 5

Just to add

In the case of the script/export change not happening, we may try splitting the file ourselves into smaller chunks - via winzip, or winrar etc. Any problems doing so? Or any preferable method of doing so?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

hey ian,
Did you ever get the answer you need?
You cando what you're looking for, but like you said you willhave to split it, just not entirely sure why you'd do that, i guess its in place of backups or in addition to backups?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

ianG
Level 5

These exports will need to be kept for a minimum of 7 years - which at the moment, is considerably longer then theres life left in our tape backup infrastructure :) Theres also savings to be made using the Centera replication between sites to 'offsite' the backup, as opposed to the current method of couriering the tape.

Will be in addition to backups (to VTL)

Its still in the planning phase at the moment, but looks like it could be a runner