cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finishing migration to Exchange 2007 from co-existence environment

BigAnvil
Level 5
Just wondering if someone would offer their input on this.  I'm getting conflicting information from these forums and Symantec Support...  We are almost done migrating to Exchange 2007. 

We've moved all the user mailboxes.
We have an archiving task for the Exchange 2003 server that is using a mailbox on the Exchange 2003 server as the system account for that archiving task.
We have an archiving task for the Exchange 2007 server that is using a mailbox on the Exchange 2007 server as the system account for that archiving task.
We have a VSA (vault services account) that has a mailbox, and it still resides on our Exchange 2003 server.  This account is what the EV services use to run (the account specified in the 'Log On' tab).

I don't see why I can't simply move the VSA account mailbox to the Exchange 2007 server.  The rep I talked to about other things was kind enough to offer his input on this process and told me I need to stop the EV services and create a new VSA account/mailbox on the Exchange 2007 server.  What I am reading here is there shouldn't be a problem and to treat it like any other mailbox account.

The only thing that makes me question being able to move it is that this account is our journal mailbox.  So, I can understand stopping the EV services first while the mailbox is moved but then I should be able to just start the services again after the move and be up and running.  Am I right in my assumptions or do I need to create a new VSA account?

I also assume that I should be able to delete the archiving task running against the Exchange 2003 server (since there are no user mailboxes on it anymore), and delete the system mailbox that task was using.  

Thanks in advance for your help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I don't think it is necessary to recreate the VSA account.  It might be worth your while to create a new dedicated journal mailbox instead of using the VSA.

and yes, once all the mailboxes are moved you can delete the old Exchange task as well as the msmq associated with it.  Make sure the queues are empty and then delete the task and queues.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I don't think it is necessary to recreate the VSA account.  It might be worth your while to create a new dedicated journal mailbox instead of using the VSA.

and yes, once all the mailboxes are moved you can delete the old Exchange task as well as the msmq associated with it.  Make sure the queues are empty and then delete the task and queues.