cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fulltext search on Files within file system archiving...

ryoku
Level 4
Hello,

we have following problem with file system archiving..perhaps someone can help..

people want to search already archived files for "text-pieces" in it.

Is something possible?
I don't think it is possible with normal windows search on the files, since it is an placeholder.
But by adjusting indexing level, could it be possible that it the archived element is searchable for "text-pieces"???

I already crawled best practice for indexing by tony sterling but I think the document is mainly focused on indexing in context of mailbox archiving.

thank you..
br
22 REPLIES 22

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 Depending on the type of searching but full indexing is going to provide you the the better options for searching

If you want to search for a string of text i believe you can do it with medium indexing but to be able to full detailed searching you need to have Full indexing enabled.

If you are already archiving and your indexes are not set to full already then you will need to change the indexing to full and rebuild your indexes otherwise the indexes that already exist will not indexed full so you wont get accurate results in your searched

ryoku
Level 4
hi scanner,

thank you for your reply...
problem I have is that I want to search the content "Mill water tank" in the vault but it does only give me result of mail content not of doc file content.
indexing level on the archive is medium.
do i have to make a rebuild index if i perform a change to full?
how long can this take?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 Where are you doing your search from when you only get the results from email

Are you selecting the archive for the file storage when you do your search

If you do decide to do full on the indexing then yes you will need to rebuild your indexes
The amount of time on the rebuild will depend on the size of the indexes, the speed of the servers and storage. It is hard to give a time as there are so many items in your environment that can affect the time

ryoku
Level 4
in browser search (/enterprisevault/search.asp) because normal windows search is not showing anything...

in browser search, search for content and then  .Mill water tank. --> result emails with content including the search item, but no doc file...

and yes, the right archive is selected.

does the rebuild index operation affect my environmet or the users using the file archive?

thanks for your answers

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 If you are using the browser search and you select the archive that has files in it and then you search on the archive you should only get back the results of that archive

Something does not seem right. Send me a screen shot of your search page so i can see what you see

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

As scanner says, try to search only on your FSA Vault, and not in "All Vaults".
This should then not get you any e-mail results.

Indexing rules apply to both, e-mail archive and FSA, it's the same indexing engine, there is no difference.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

ryoku
Level 4
well, sorry ...
i obviously made myself not clear..sorry..

emails in this case are *.msg files on the file server, which have been archived with fsa policy.
sorry..

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

This is something different.
I don't think EV does index the attachments in the .MSG's, too.
Similar, as it does not index ZIP files, I think.

You would have to write does .MSG back to an Exchange Mailbox and archive from there, I think.

Cheers

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
It will archive the contents of the email but not the attachements.

This does change things

As Michel said, import the msg files into the users mailbox and archive them, then the email and content will be searchable.

The other way to bypass this from ever happening again is if you turn on journaling, This will pass every email sent or recieved to a jorunal mailbox which will be archived. Then you never miss any emails or attachements

MichelZ
Level 6
Or implement file blocking for .msg ;)

ryoku
Level 4
hi,

thank you very much for your contribution.
i appreciate this!

nevertheless..the fact that there is an email can be ignored for now.

I want to find the document (doc file) which includes the search string I mentioned before.
I wanted to know if this is possible by changing indexing level to full.

thank you

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 Changing it to full wont provide what you need seeing as the file you want to search for is within a .msg file and as we explained attachements withing .msg files are not archived or indexed so changing your index level wont provide what you need

The solution you need is to import the .msg files into a mailbox and archive them. Then you can search for the contents of the files and find the document you are searching for

MichelZ
Level 6
ryoku

Yes, you are able to find the string with full archiving, IF the document is a standalone document, NOT contained in a .MSG.

Cheers

ryoku
Level 4
hi all,

thanks for your participation...

i tried it out now for a special archive...i set the indexing level to full and rebuilt the index

afterwards I try with the normal search to find the first line in a word document with the option "content contains 1 of"

no result :((
anywhere else to search?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
I perform these searches every day and i know that with full indexing you can searchs for a text string.

Are you searching for a document that is attached to an email saved as a .msg file?

ryoku
Level 4
i am searching for a string whic is content of a word document

ryoku
Level 4
obviously i cannot search files with extension DOC (winword) for content - is that normal? how can I bypass???

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

Something other is wrong here.
You should definitely be able to do so.

What EV Version do you have?
Is it a .doc or a .docx?

Are you able to locate the file in ArchiveExplorer?

Cheers
Michel

ryoku
Level 4
hi
we have ev version v7.5

i see all in archiveexplorer, all docs all xls and so on...
perhaps i am searching the wrong way...

i am searching in normal search.asp with the option "content contains" and a search keyword, but only get txt files....
so i assume enterprise vault is NOT able to perform content search on the doc files...

it is definitly doc file.

thank you for your effort!