cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Email Archiving back logs

itms-systems
Level 4

Hi, I need some help.

We are new to Enterprise Vault, and we want do a once off Email Archive to archive everything older then 1 year. Once we finish archive all back log emails, we want to stop on-going archive until management decied on the policies.

My question is: is there a way I can define a date in EV to archive anything older then one year from that date?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It is not possible to tell EV to archive everything until 26-10-2009 (which is 1 year)

What you can do is to archive everything older than 13 months. This will archive everything older than 1 year + 1 month. This should give you a month to archive everything older than 1 year.

You should leave this running for a month, than stop archiving again.

What policies are you needing to determine? Keep in mind that (for instance) retention policies are not retrospective. Example:

You archive everything now, with retention 'keep for 10 years'. Then management (long live management) decides they want to keep everything 7 years. You then create new retention to keep items for 7 years. This applies only to items archived as of the use of the new retention. If you want to keep the already archived items (with retention 'keep for 10 years'), you need to change THAT retention also to 'keep 7 years'.

Good luck.

Regards. Gertjan

itms-systems
Level 4

Hi Gertjan,

Thanks for the quick response. That's what I told my boss too - stop archiving after one month.

The management could not make decission on retention period. I set it to "Retain itms forever" and plan to change it later. Will the archived emails has the new retention policy if I change the policy instead of create a new one?

Thanks.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Ying,

Yes, if you change the retention policy used to be something else, this affects already archived items.

If you have sql knowledge you should be able to find somewhere (I don't know, I am not a sql person!) where the retention is stored. You will find it does not have a value (like indefinite, or '7 years'), but is a pointer to the defined retention. If you set it now to 'indefinite', archived items get a pointer to this. If you change the 'indefinite' to 5 years, the retention will be 5 years for all items already in the archive.

Do remember that expiry (so removing of archived items) most of the times is based on 'archived date', which in your case might not be desirable. YOu might want to look into setting expiry based on 'modification date'.

Regards

Regards. Gertjan

itms-systems
Level 4

Base expiry on 'Archived date' will keep the archived emails a little longer, which probably suits this case better I think.