cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Upgrade Sql 2008

vodafone_india
Level 3

Hi ,

At present we are using SQL2008 with Enterprise Vault 10.0.3 and now we are planning to upgrade sql 2012.

I want to know what is best method to do this??

Regards

DN

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello DN,

Upgrading SQL is best discussed with Microsoft, as it is their product.

What I would do is to build a new SQL2012 server, then move the databases to it.

This KB is a good starting point for you: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35744

Be advised that when you install the new SQL, you need to make sure that the collation type is the same as the one on the 2008 server!

Regards. Gertjan

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are performing inplace upgrade of SQL then try below steps.

1) Stop all EV services.

2) Take backup of EV databases

3) Upgrade SQL 

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

Upgrading SQL 2008 to SQL 2012 would be more a question for Microsoft. If you are planning to upgrade SQL on the same server, take a full backup of the Enterprise Vault databases before upgrading SQL. If you can install a separate SQL server, then follow the technote TECH35744 as GertjanA mentioned to move the databases from one SQL server to another.

I hope this helps.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

One really important think to make sure about is the Collations , a lot of people forget to make sure that the new SQL Server reflects the same collations as the old one, as you could have issues in the future because of collation mismatches and the scripts to convert are really painful

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Do you have any updates on this thread? Do you need more assistance regarding this topic? If not, please mark the post that best solves your problem as the answer to this thread.