cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change the value of "ComputerName FROM ComputerEntry"?

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have an issue with cache download not working properly and foud this article:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137602 where it states:
Ensure that this value is in lower case and then synchronize all mailboxes via the Synchronization tab in the properties of the relevant Mailbox Archiving Task.  Close and reopen Outlook for the changes to take effect.

Well it so happens that part of the name is in fact upper case and I need to change it to lower cases... how do I do that? Do I just run some DB change query or does it need something more to be considered like a reboot or something?

What's the best way to proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Sani B.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Personally, I don't advise the client on the server .. but that's your choice.

However - it will STILL be using BITS to pull down the data from 'itself'.  It doesn't have special code that realises it can just copy the files because they are local.

So the same procedure applies - troubleshoot whether or not BITS is working or not.

In my opinion it's actually easier to troubleshoot that from a client machine, rather than the server - provided you can get easy access to both of course.

Essentially to test it what you're doing is ..

* Creating a file on the server

* Use BITS to pull down that file

eg

ERROR FILE:    \\evsesrver\c$\tmp\testbitsfile.txt -> c:\Temp\testbitsfile.txt

That's an example, from your earlier attempt.

You do however need access to the file in the first place.

I would suggest a share called BITS_TEST, full control to everyone, somewhere like C:\Temp.  Put a 100 Kb file in there, or a file of ANY length.  And try to pull that down using \\evserver\BITS_TEST\thefilename.theextension

If you want further assistance, I can offer you that, just PM me and we'll do a Skype session or something.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You can change it directly by going into the table or run a sql query if you are familiar with SQL query. Just a EV Directory service restart will do on the EV server after the change.

SQL query can be something like this:

Use EnterpriseVaultDirectory

Update ComputerEntry

Set ComputerName = 'Lowercase'

Where ComputerName = 'Uppercase'

something like that....make sure you backup your DB first or seek help from your DBA...

Hope that helps.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

hmm are you getting that error mentioned in the technote?  Do you have a proxy autoconfig file involved?

I have my computer name as EVSERVER.EV.local

And Vault Cache builds appear to be fine at my end.

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hey all,

in the Enterprise vault Information window I see this in EV's admin account that have email and archive:

VAULT CACHE CONTENT 
Status Failed: BITS download failed
Last download completed Never

Found Rob's article where this BITS is tested
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/testing-bits

But since I don't have access to a user workstation, can all of this be done in the ev server?

Sani B.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

If you want to test BITS then you should do it from a client workstation really - I mean ideally the one which is showing the status as failed.

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well.. if we assume the BITS is the cause to the failure... After all cache download failed with info: BITS download failed

How do I fix it?

Sani B.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Perform the test from the client - to prove whether BITS is working or not.. report any errors here.. we (collectively) might then have some ideas .. and/or contact Microsoft to find out why BITS is failing.

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hey all,

Working throug the BITS testing and there is error:

MONITORING BACKGROUND COPY MANAGER(1 second refresh)
{FE9ADC3B-5FBD-4C8F-9D72-E1485C4F1199} 'testjob' TRANSIENT_ERROR 0 / 1 0 / UNKN

c:\Temp>bitsadmin /list /verbose

BITSADMIN version 3.0 [ 7.5.7601 ]
BITS administration utility.
(C) Copyright 2000-2006 Microsoft Corp.

BITSAdmin is deprecated and is not guaranteed to be available in future versions
 of Windows.
Administrative tools for the BITS service are now provided by BITS PowerShell cm
dlets.

GUID: {FE9ADC3B-5FBD-4C8F-9D72-E1485C4F1199} DISPLAY: 'testjob'
TYPE: DOWNLOAD STATE: TRANSIENT_ERROR OWNER: DOMAIN\testaccount
PRIORITY: NORMAL FILES: 0 / 1 BYTES: 0 / UNKNOWN
CREATION TIME: 27.9.2012 8:10:22 MODIFICATION TIME: 27.9.2012 8:18:24
COMPLETION TIME: UNKNOWN ACL FLAGS:
NOTIFY INTERFACE: UNREGISTERED NOTIFICATION FLAGS: 3
RETRY DELAY: 600 NO PROGRESS TIMEOUT: 1209600 ERROR COUNT: 1
PROXY USAGE: PRECONFIG PROXY LIST: NULL PROXY BYPASS LIST: NULL
ERROR FILE:    Z:\testbitsfile.txt -> c:\Temp\testbitsfile.txt
ERROR CODE:    0x80070003
ERROR CONTEXT: 0x00000004
DESCRIPTION:
JOB FILES:
        0 / UNKNOWN WORKING Z:\testbitsfile.txt -> c:\Temp\testbitsfile.txt
NOTIFICATION COMMAND LINE: none
owner MIC integrity level: HIGH
owner elevated ?           true

Peercaching flags
         Enable download from peers      :false
         Enable serving to peers         :false

CUSTOM HEADERS: NULL

Listed 1 job(s).

c:\Temp>

Why is it giving the error:
ERROR FILE:    Z:\testbitsfile.txt -> c:\Temp\testbitsfile.txt
ERROR CODE:    0x80070003
ERROR CONTEXT: 0x00000004

Sani B.

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

giving the whole address adding the file to the job gave me different error code:

c:\Temp>bitsadmin /list /verbose

BITSADMIN version 3.0 [ 7.5.7601 ]
BITS administration utility.
(C) Copyright 2000-2006 Microsoft Corp.

BITSAdmin is deprecated and is not guaranteed to be available in future versions
 of Windows.
Administrative tools for the BITS service are now provided by BITS PowerShell cm
dlets.

GUID: {4E1909E6-5341-4D37-8D7E-D2057876B058} DISPLAY: 'testjob'
TYPE: DOWNLOAD STATE: ERROR OWNER: DOMAIN\testaccount
PRIORITY: NORMAL FILES: 0 / 1 BYTES: 0 / UNKNOWN
CREATION TIME: 27.9.2012 8:52:46 MODIFICATION TIME: 27.9.2012 8:53:45
COMPLETION TIME: UNKNOWN ACL FLAGS:
NOTIFY INTERFACE: UNREGISTERED NOTIFICATION FLAGS: 3
RETRY DELAY: 600 NO PROGRESS TIMEOUT: 1209600 ERROR COUNT: 1
PROXY USAGE: PRECONFIG PROXY LIST: NULL PROXY BYPASS LIST: NULL
ERROR FILE:    \\evsesrver\c$\tmp\testbitsfile.txt -> c:\Temp\testbitsfile.txt
ERROR CODE:    0x80070005
ERROR CONTEXT: 0x00000005
DESCRIPTION:
JOB FILES:
        0 / UNKNOWN WORKING \\evserver\c$\tmp\testbitsfile.txt -> c:\Temp\testb
itsfile.txt
NOTIFICATION COMMAND LINE: none
owner MIC integrity level: HIGH
owner elevated ?           true

Peercaching flags
         Enable download from peers      :false
         Enable serving to peers         :false

CUSTOM HEADERS: NULL

Listed 1 job(s).

c:\Temp>

Apparently that might be permissions problem though I did add it as a network drive...?

Sani B.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Does the user have sufficient permissions to access \\server\c$\folder\file? Try to open the folder, from the client machine.. and see if you can see the files. You might even want to create a simple text file, and then see if you can open that manually through explorer, from the client machine.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Sani, did you look in to this some more?

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes I did but could not yet get the bits to work due to permission issues, but this BITS testing is not important now (at least made from some client) because this cache synchronizing is also failing in the EV server for the EV's admin account... Yesterday I made a new profile and after that it did download / sync the cache normally but today it's failing again... I have now reset it and partially reset it over and over and ran ResetEVClient.exe too but it still fails with comment "Vault Cache Content = status: Failed: BITS downloaded failed... so How do I fix the cache problem for EV admin account used on the EV server?

Sani B.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Personally, I don't advise the client on the server .. but that's your choice.

However - it will STILL be using BITS to pull down the data from 'itself'.  It doesn't have special code that realises it can just copy the files because they are local.

So the same procedure applies - troubleshoot whether or not BITS is working or not.

In my opinion it's actually easier to troubleshoot that from a client machine, rather than the server - provided you can get easy access to both of course.

Essentially to test it what you're doing is ..

* Creating a file on the server

* Use BITS to pull down that file

eg

ERROR FILE:    \\evsesrver\c$\tmp\testbitsfile.txt -> c:\Temp\testbitsfile.txt

That's an example, from your earlier attempt.

You do however need access to the file in the first place.

I would suggest a share called BITS_TEST, full control to everyone, somewhere like C:\Temp.  Put a 100 Kb file in there, or a file of ANY length.  And try to pull that down using \\evserver\BITS_TEST\thefilename.theextension

If you want further assistance, I can offer you that, just PM me and we'll do a Skype session or something.

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Okay, got finally tested the BITS from a workstation where the EV cache is prompting the account request.

BITS works just fine and all of forms of ev server is distributed to that user through GPO policys, IE is set to automatically logon to sites that are in intranet zone... All other functions in the archive (store etc) are functioning properly, only cache prompts the account request... and this is just some users not all...

does anyone have any ideas what to check... I'm all out of ideas...

Sani B.

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Also already tried creating new outlook profile and resetting the vault cache, ran the resetevclient.exe... nothing had any impact on the prompting problem...

Sani B.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Is this Windows 7?

Have you looked in Control Panel -> User Accounts and gone through the cached credentials?  It sound very much like the 'wrong' credentials have been cached, and then used when synchronising Vault Cache.

This then takes me back to the original question/issue.  What is it that the user is seeing?  Are they being prompted over and over for credentials when they try to synchronise/setup Vault Cache?  What happens when they try to open an archived item from their mailbox?

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Yes this is WIN7 SP1

Are they being prompted over and over for credentials when they try to synchronise/setup Vault Cache?
Yes!

What happens when they try to open an archived item from their mailbox?
This opens messages normally unprompting credentials. Also everything else works fine except the Vault cache synchronizing...

That Cached Credentials is a good idea, I shall check that one, thank you!

Sani B.

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There is nothing in the cached credentials... more ideas?

Sani B.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
So does it prompt once? Ever.. or once per synch? or once per Outlook session? Is Outlook RPC/HTTP enabled in the Outlook profile (even if it's just the tick box saying connect using HTTP). Have you got a client log showing the prompt.. and the entering of the credentials? When the credentials are input - do they work?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
So does it prompt once? Ever.. or once per synch? or once per Outlook session? Is Outlook RPC/HTTP enabled in the Outlook profile (even if it's just the tick box saying connect using HTTP). Have you got a client log showing the prompt.. and the entering of the credentials? When the credentials are input - do they work?