cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop EV from running collections on closed partitions?

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

I am running EV 9.0.0 for Exchange 2007 on Windows 2003. I have over 30 closed partitions, all of which have been fully collected, yet EV still checks them during the collections run. This takes up resources and causes over-head on the EV server that I would like to eliminate, yet I cannot turn off collections on the closed partitions using the GUI and the documentation states that it cannot be changed on closed partitions. Is there a way around this? Reg hack? 3rd party tool? Undocumented settings change? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You don't want to stop that process because it will clean up the archdvs that are created when users view archived items that have been viewed.

You could limit the amount of time it runs by modifying the schedule on the properties of the partition.

If you are really determined to stop it from running set the start and stop time to the same, but again, I don't recommend doing that.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You don't want to stop that process because it will clean up the archdvs that are created when users view archived items that have been viewed.

You could limit the amount of time it runs by modifying the schedule on the properties of the partition.

If you are really determined to stop it from running set the start and stop time to the same, but again, I don't recommend doing that.

Kopfjager
Level 5
Employee Certified

What you are most likely seeing is what is known as sparse collections.   When items in a collection are deleted during storage expiry or deletion, the collection's database entry is updated.  There is a entry for the number of valid or "active" items in the collection and this is reduced by the number of deleted items. 

Once a collection reaches the default or specified percentage of valid items still remaining, it removes the valid items from that collection, deletes the collection file and then re-collects the valid items into a new collection.

This is required in order to reduce overall size of collected data when expiry or deletions are allowed.

If there is a supported way to stop collections from running on closed partitions, I don't recall it.  

Hope this helps with understanding why it does it.

Cheers,