cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i open a users archive in another users outlook

burtos
Level 5

A user has got married so her surname has changed but her old username ev archive still exists within ev, im trying now to allow her to view her old ev email archive, but not sure how to go about it.  

I have granted the user permission to read and write the archive within the permission tab, now im stuck in how i actually get the new user to be able to see the emails within the archive in Outlook.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ok, that means EV still thinks the archive is associated with that user.  You can use this technote and clean that up.  Then you should be able to enable and choose that archive.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52639

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

TonySterling

I am a little confused.  Does she have a new mailbox and AD account or did the name just change?

If she has a new mailbox you can associate the old archive with the new mailbox by disabling the old mailbox and then enable the new and choose the existing archive.

If it is just a name change then you can just update the name of the archive as it should still be associated with that mailbox.

Alex_Brown
Level 5
Employee

I'm pretty sure that if the persons display name changes in AD then EV will sync this change and rename the mailbox archive...

burtos
Level 5

Tony

She does have a new ad and email account, your 2nd paragraph, to do this do i just change the bill usage to her new username within the general tab of her archive, if not what do i need to do.  Also once that is done, how is she than able to view this archive within outlook.  

TonySterling

Have you enabled her new account yet?  Hopefully not, what you can do is disable her old account, then enable her new and when when you go through the wizard choose existing archive and associate her new account with that archive.

If she was already enabled, has anything been archived?  If no, disable and follow the above, if yes, restore those items back to mailbox, disable, follow above. :)

TonySterling

I think your right Alex, it is a setting I believe.

burtos
Level 5

I have added her new account to a provisoning group, whereabouts is this wizard you talk about

TonySterling

So do a run now on the provisioning task.  Once that is done in the Administration Console, click Enable Mailbox on the Tools menu or click the Enable Mailboxes for Archiving icon on the toolbar.  In the wizard you will have to option to choose an Existing Archive for the user, click that button and choose the archive.

burtos
Level 5

I tried to do what you said but when i try and enable the mailbox and select the existing archive, it is giving me the following error

You cannot choose 'username' because it is already the archive for mailbox 'username'

So i than tried to see if her old account was still active, so went to teh disable mailbox option, went through it but her name doesn't appear at all, also checked on the mail server and her old account is now gone, and she has been disabled in AD as well.

TonySterling

Ok, that means EV still thinks the archive is associated with that user.  You can use this technote and clean that up.  Then you should be able to enable and choose that archive.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52639

burtos
Level 5

Thanks tony that worked

Just a final question or 2

How does the new user see that archive in outlook,

will it just appear in her inbox folders as archived emails

Do i need to do anything for her to see these emails in her outlook  

TonySterling

Did the items in her old mailbox get copied to her new one?  If yes, the shortcuts should just be there and will now work for her.

If the shortcuts were not copied over then she could use Virtual Vault, Archive Explorer, or Search.

burtos
Level 5

Nope they didnt get copied

Ok thanks

TonySterling

Then easiest thing is for her to use Search, Archive Explorer, or Virtual Vault.