cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you remove a Vault Server from the Vault Site?

scumnvillainy
Level 3
We have decided to re-purpose a vault server that was a member of our Vault Site directory. All tasks were stopped and deleted, and then we completely uninstalled Enterprise Vault from this server. When we attempt to delete this server from the Vault Admin console, We get an enterprise Vault error box that states, "This Computer contains Services. You need to delete all these Services before you can delete the Computer". There are no EV services on this computer though, the app has been completely removed. We are attempting to delete this server from the admin console while logged in as the Vault service account. If we expand the servers containor housing this service, and expand services, it shows these services:

Indexing
Shopping
Storage
Task

The status next to each is "Error".

Looking for a way to clean this up and completely remove this server from our VautlSite.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Since I could not find an article I have just created one.

Once approved it should be available here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-remove-ev-server-your-site

Hopefully it will help someone in the future.

Cheers,

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling
When you expand the EV Server right click Services and choose Properites.  From here try to delete the services.

Regards,
Tony

TonySterling
One other thing, you might have to make an adjustment in SQL if the services do not delete on the first try.  For example, for Indexing you would want to put something in the Admin Note of the Index Service like "Delete Me" and close the Admin Console.  Then open the IndexingServiceEntry table in SQL and set IndexingCanDelete = 1. 
Putting the Admin note entry will allow you to easily identify the service you want to delete.

scumnvillainy
Level 3
There is no option to delete these services form the admin console, I assume because they are in that "error" state. I looked around the support site and this forum, as well as the various .pdf's and found no procedural doc for how to properly remove vault servers and the order of things to do that. We are running EV8.0.2 BTW.

I will talk to our SQL admin about what you suggested but that sounds like something you do when you made a mistake like I apparently have with removing servers. I would like to be pointed to some sort of offical document on removing servers so that we do not repeat this in the future. Does one exist?

TonySterling
Your SQL Admin will be able to remover the entries from SQL for those Services.  I would add the Admin Note to make it easy for them.  (Also make sure you have good SQL backups first.)

Once those are removed it should let you delete the Server from the Admin Console.

One thing, I just tested with my own demo image and was able to see the properties page for an EV Server that was offline.

properties.png

prop2.png

GertjanA
I made the same mistake.

Easiest (no need to hack sql):
re-install EV on the same server. Join existing site.
Then remove the services.
Then delete the server from the Vault Console, then uninstall.

Worked for me.

If you already re-used the server, and (hopefully) renamed it, make a Virtual Machine (vmware, virtual pc, hyper-v) and name that as the old server, then perform steps as above. In this case however, it might be easier to hack the sql db's.

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

TonySterling
Since I could not find an article I have just created one.

Once approved it should be available here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-remove-ev-server-your-site

Hopefully it will help someone in the future.

Cheers,

scumnvillainy
Level 3
Ok... I will give it a shot, re-adding the server. We did re-name and re-ip the original server. I can try throwing up a VM and see. Will mark as a solution if it works. thanks all.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Do you need any more assistance with this?
If a post solved your problem, can you mark that as the Solution?

Thanks & Regards
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.