cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to export multiple PST files

l3g4to
Level 3

Hi,

Internal IT is exporting for me multiple PST files from eVault. There is a large number of accounts to be exported that is why I suggested that they open multiple export wizards at once when carrying out this task. I was wondering if actually opening multiple wizards speeds up the process and if so - by how much.

Please share your experiences of:

1) How long on average does it take for you to export an email using the "Export Archive" wizard (time to export archive/number of emails in archive) using e.g. 1 wizard, 5 wizards and 10 wizards simultaneosly?

2) What is the recommended maximum number of simultaneously running "Export Archive" wizards?

Thank you in advance for you responses!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay I understand where you are coming from.

I would say running 2-3 exports at a time will be okay.. but you'll need to test it yourself too.

I did do a little experiment a while ago, and blogged about it:

http://thingsilearnedtoday.net/2013/05/24/how-to-export-multiple-enterprise-vault-mailbox-archives-a...

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Yes it will speed things, but you'll soon hit other limiting factors, like CPU / Storage IO and so on.

You'd really have to test it in your own environment, but to my mind, why is there an urgency? If it takes 2 hours or 4 hours...  does that *really* matter?

l3g4to
Level 3

Hi Rob,

thank you for your response. Yes it does matter - because there are many many of these archives to be exported. By exporting them sequentially IT estimated that it would take at least a month (they are probably reluctant to do it). I want to therefore verify this estimate assuming that archives would be exported simultaneously - to do this I need some estimates of how much this process is speeded up in case of these simultaneous exports.

I suspect of course that there are other factors influencing this like CPU, network, storage IO however I would like some information on the eVault communities' general experience of how much this might speed up the process. Also if there are any then - other ways of optimising the export process time.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay I understand where you are coming from.

I would say running 2-3 exports at a time will be okay.. but you'll need to test it yourself too.

I did do a little experiment a while ago, and blogged about it:

http://thingsilearnedtoday.net/2013/05/24/how-to-export-multiple-enterprise-vault-mailbox-archives-a...

l3g4to
Level 3

Hi Rob,

thank you it was quite helpful - it answers my second question regarding the optimal number of simulatenous exports.

However unfortunately still I would need the estimates of how much this speeded up the process for you. To make any estimates and discuss it with IT (assuming for now that the infrastructure is similar) I need some estimates/indicators like the one I mentioned in my first comment:

- the average number of time required to export a single email depending on the number of running wizards

I suspect that it is quite easy to calcualte - simply to open 1 wizard divide the time by the number of emails in the archive. Next open 2 wizards and divide the time by the number of archives in both wizards.

I would be very grateful for such estimates!

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Why don't you just do this in your own environment and monitor it?! That way you're working with real numbers that apply specifically to you Cos it all depends on disk speed, CPU speed, version of outlook, version of EV, do you use collections, your level of SIS, what your storage is, and other things going on in your environment But just try doing 5 exports at a time, review the reports and see how long it took then do 10'expprts a time etc
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146