cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to completely and properly remove EV?

Singh
Level 3

Hi,

One of our customers want to completely remove EV from their organisation. Does anyone know if there exists a proper support article regarding this issue?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Singh,

I don't believe there is such a document, but here is what I do in our testenvironment.

1 - run tasks in reporting mode for a while, verify msmq's are empty before continuing

2 - disable archiving for mailboxes.

3 - delete shortcuts from mailboxes

4 - export archives back in mailboxes (or, make pst's, have users do this themselves)

5 - zap mailboxes

6 - uninstall EV

7 - delete storage/indexes (disks)

8 - delete databases (sql)

9 - delete/disable accounts used (EV service acc. SQL login etc.)

10 - verify all mail is returned to users. (if pst's are used, best option)

11 - feel sorry after a few months because exchange stores get too big ;-))

I probably missed something, but others will most likely jump in.

Regards,

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan

Singh
Level 3

Hi Gertjan

Thanks for your quick reply. Seems like all logical to-do-list.

It is not sure at this point if our customer will remove EV, though. But they have taken this option into consideration. Nice to know anyway that I was not very far out regarding removal of EV. My main objective is still to make our customer realize the consequences if they finally decide to quit EV.

patrickkuah
Level 6

just curious, why they wanna to quit EV? such a great product :)

patrickkuah

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yeah, would like to know that, too....

EV is such a nice product.

But if you don't implement it "best practice", you can run into problems, of course ;)

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Singh
Level 3

Sorry guys... I really don't know why they are even considering this. I guess some sales person from another company told them about native archiving function in Exchange 2007.

I had a loooong discussion with our customer regarding this. Seems like there were a lot of myths they had been told conserning "shortcommings" of EV. I dont know where they got those. Anyway, it is still up to our customers to decide.

I have already clearified most/all of their questions regarding EV but......archiving funtion in Exchange 2007 is really bothering them, somehow..

MarkOlsen
Level 4

Singh:

One other thing to consider is the speed of the export process; I believe I've read benchmarks of between 1 - 2 GB per hour, though I may be mistaken.   For a very large, multi-Terabyte implementation, this could be very time consuming and labor intensive.   As a result, I believe several companies have developed third party utilities typically for merger/divestiture situations.   You might look at Procedo and Vault Solutions.

Regards ... Mark

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Mark

That's wrong.

1-2 GB per hour is the Import of Data (where EV has to do Conversion & Indexing on every item)

Export is much faster.

We (vcare Infosystems AG ;) ) have a product for it, too. ;) ;)

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.