cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create new archive after deleting

Johnha1981
Level 3

Hi, 

I have deleted a users archive after he was unable to open outlook with the EV add in enabled. I would now like to create a new archive for that mailbox bt when I select to enable mailbox it doe not show in the list. I hav removed the user from the EV provisioning AD goup we have and added him back in and ran the provisioning task. Can you advise what I should do from here? 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

daveoflave
Level 4
Employee

Hi Johnha1981,

The first "gotcha" will sound silly, but did you click the radio button for "Disabled Mailboxes" in the Enable Mailbox Wizard?  Always have to sanity check that. 

Wizard

If it's still not showing there, then check the user's row in the ExchangeMailboxEntry (EME) table.  The MbxExchangeState column dictates if a mailbox should show in that wizard; 0 means normal, 1 means AD-disabled, and 2 means it's hidden from the GAL.  Only a value of 0 will allow mailboxes to show up there.  If you don't want to go chasing down why the mailbox doesn't show (research if it's hidden, or something changed with the user's AD account groups, etc), then you could just update that row like this:

USE EnterpriseVaultDirectory
UPDATE ExchangeMailboxEntry
SET MbxExchangeState = '0' WHERE MbxDisplayName = '(paste in user's maibox display name)'

Just note that the next time provisioning runs, it'll change that value back to whatever the environment tells it to; as in '2' if it's hidden, for example.  This article https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000031333 kind of touches on why it works that way.  Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Daveoflave

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

daveoflave
Level 4
Employee

Hi Johnha1981,

The first "gotcha" will sound silly, but did you click the radio button for "Disabled Mailboxes" in the Enable Mailbox Wizard?  Always have to sanity check that. 

Wizard

If it's still not showing there, then check the user's row in the ExchangeMailboxEntry (EME) table.  The MbxExchangeState column dictates if a mailbox should show in that wizard; 0 means normal, 1 means AD-disabled, and 2 means it's hidden from the GAL.  Only a value of 0 will allow mailboxes to show up there.  If you don't want to go chasing down why the mailbox doesn't show (research if it's hidden, or something changed with the user's AD account groups, etc), then you could just update that row like this:

SET MbxExchangeState = '0' WHERE MbxDisplayName = '(paste in user's maibox display name)'

Just note that the next time provisioning runs, it'll change that value back to whatever the environment tells it to; as in '2' if it's hidden, for example.  This article https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000031333 kind of touches on why it works that way.  Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Daveoflave

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for the info. I have clicked the disabled radio button and it still doesnot show. Can you advise how I would change the ExchangeMailboxEntry table please? 

Thanks 

Hi Johnha1981,

Sure, with the query that I provided before it can be updated.  If you want to know first before you change anything, run this Select statement first:

Use EnterpriseVaultDirectory

Select mbxexchangestate from ExchangeMailboxEntry

where mbxdisplayname = '(paste in user's mailbox display name here)'

Then if the value is 1 or 2, it needs to be updated with this:

Then the user's mailbox should show in one of the lists in the wizard.  Again, this will be changed to whatever is found during provisioning the next time it runs.  Let us know if that helps or not, thanks!

Thanks,
Daveoflave

sandrine_goetha
   VIP   

Hello John,

Did you try to zap the mailbox ?

It removes all the EV settings from the mailbox and therefore is seens as new by the system.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH44818

Sandrine

Hi, I have done this but the account was already set as 0. Any idea what to do from here? 

Thanks

That's a good point to mention.  To add to that: It's seen by "new" as the site assuming it gets provisioned.  In other words, assuming the provisioning task decides it meets the criteria to be placed in a provisioning group and thus creates a row for that mailbox in the ExchangeMailboxEntry table. 

However since it was mentioned that the user was previously disabled, we would assume the EME row already existed for that mailbox.  If that's the case, the row almost certainly dictates if the mailbox shows as an option.

You could zap it to get a clean slate on its hidden message; then run provisioning to ensure that the row does exist; because it won't show at all in the wizard if it doesn't.

Thanks,
Daveoflave

Hi, 

Is it possible to Zap the mailbox if the archive does not exist? 

Thanks

Hi Johnha1981,

Sorry my last reply was being written while your last one got posted so I just saw it.  Ok then the entry might be stale; I'd suggest looking at the provisioning report to confirm with certainty that our provisioning task really did update the mailbox and place it in a group. 

If you can see that the task is updating it; then delete the existing EME row for that mailbox, run provisioning again and ensure it created a new row.  And of course, make sure the value for MbxExchangeState is still 0 after both of those steps.

Thanks,
Daveoflave

Yes, we can zap independently of an archive; the zap is against the mailbox only.

Thanks,
Daveoflave

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for help so far. I'm struggling to zap. I am getting  "error (0x80072af9) getting exchange connection point details for exchange server (fqdn of server) "

For some strange reason they appeared in disabled users today. Even though they were not previously. Not sure why but it has worked!!!!

Thanks