cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move Archiving Task from one EV server to other server.

Cdee
Level 6

Hi There,

I am planning to install a new EV server in my exisiting EV site just to make sure that my EV server is has a good performance and need some Help/Tips on the same.

1) Points to be Actioned Before and after i move Archive Task
2) Steps on how to move archive Task on new EV server
3) Will this Affect in Indexing as my plan is to keep indexing on my 1st EV server if Yes how do i take care of it.
4) Will this effect in users archive access / Archive explorer.
5) In outlook will the archive explorer point to correct archive server and make the archive available to end user.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

not suggesting to create a whole new group, just create a new vault store on the new server and add it to the existing vault store group and enable sharing, then move archives from the old server for those users to the new server and new vault store and make the defaults be for the new vault store

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

A quick question for you; what are you hoping to achieve here? If you just move the archiving agent then you probably won't see a performance increase as you will introduce the need for cross-server communication between the server where the agent is running and the storage service. It will work, but it might not give you what you are trying to achieve

1) Points to be Actioned Before and after i move Archive Task

Set the Vault Stores to read-only mode

Check that nothing is in any of the MSMQ queues for Archiving (A1 to A4)

2) Steps on how to move archive Task on new EV server

Review the requirements for Exchange Mailbox archiving on the new server

Stop the task

Delete the task

Create the task on the new server

Reset the Vault Stores into write mode and carry out a test archive of an item

3) Will this Affect in Indexing as my plan is to keep indexing on my 1st EV server if Yes how do i take care of it.

No. Indexing is set when mailboxes are enabled for archiving, as is storage, so this will not change

4) Will this effect in users archive access / Archive explorer.

No

5) In outlook will the archive explorer point to correct archive server and make the archive available to end user.

This should continue to work

JesusWept3
Level 6
Just to clarify on #5, it depends on your definition of "correct" server If you mean the server where the task is located, then No it won't EV will determine the URL based on the storage server that hosts the users archive So they will continue to go to the "previous" server

Cdee
Level 6

Hi Nick,

I am having 4 E2k10 servers each server having 4 MBX DB and 1 EV 9.0.2 server having 4 archiving task on it.

So my plan is to move 2 Task to newly introduce EV server so that the load is Shared between EV servers so that archiving solution is in good shape.

So do you suggest that i should also configure the storage service on the new server as well.

How do we keep the storage in read only mode is it by setting the storage group backup mode.

JesusWept3
Level 6

well the thing is, you can set storage service and a new vault store on those servers if you want, but when an archive is enabled, it is tied to a Vault Store, no matter where the task is, it will always pass items across to the original server to store the items.

If you really wanted to be streamlined, you should consider creating a new vault store on the other server, then move the tasks then use Move Archive to move the archives from the "old" server to the "new" server

Otherwise what will happen is the Task on EVServer2 will get the item and post it to EVServer1 to store and then EVServer1 will pass back an acknowledgement to EVServer2 so it can turn the item in to a shortcut

Cdee
Level 6

So what will be the best way to achieve this without creating a new storage group. I dont want end up creating a new storage group / store and still users should able to access archive mails and server performance should also not be hit.

JesusWept3
Level 6

not suggesting to create a whole new group, just create a new vault store on the new server and add it to the existing vault store group and enable sharing, then move archives from the old server for those users to the new server and new vault store and make the defaults be for the new vault store