cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop a 'Run Now' Task

YodaNZ
Level 3
Hi everyone

Is it possible to stop a 'Run Now' archiving task? its been selected on 2 of our exchange servers and is now running 24/7 and im not sure how to stop it. Any ideas?

Running EV6 SP3
10 REPLIES 10

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
Not sure what you mean, but your "archiving tasks" are always running.  The setting that dictates when they will begin processing is your scheduling tab.  I may be way off base on with this one, but can you please elaborate.

YodaNZ
Level 3
Apologies for being a bit vague... heres some more info...

In the properties of the Mailbox Archiving Task (for each server), under the schedule tab there is a run now button. Under there 'Normal' "Archive all enabled mailboxes' and 'Archive all items' has been slected and run.

This is now archiving all mail (within the boundries of the policys of course) on the server.

Hope that makes more sense :)

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
Stop the task.

YodaNZ
Level 3
That is what im doing at the moment.

We are using the site schedule to manage when EV archives email or not (usually at night) to minimise impact on bandwidth. Outside of the times we have selected to archive, these 2 servers are still archiving due to the 'Run Now' task which was selected to archive all mail on those servers. As these are new servers which have been added to EV, there is over 700gb of email which will need to be archived over time to EV.

I guess what im asking is that is there a way to bring these 2 servers back to normal with the others which run in accordance to the site schedule.

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
So stop the task, then modify your schedule tab to "use site setting" and start your task.  Now, whn the archiving window comes around, the task will start to process and will then stop once the end of the window is met.

YodaNZ
Level 3
Thanks for the help Maynard

Ive just checked that option, and Use Site Setting is already ticked... but ive unticked it... recycled the service and ticked it again, and recycled again to give it a 'Kick'.

Ill see if that does the job.

YodaNZ
Level 3
Unfortunatly what ive tried hasnt worked. the Store which houses the 2 servers which are archiving are still archiving 24x7 even though 'use site setting' is ticked.

Any other ideas? is it worth deleting the task for these servers and setting the task back up?

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
So what evidence is there that is making you think the task is archiving "non stop"?

YodaNZ
Level 3
From what i can tell, 3 things are showing its happening.

1 - increase of archived emails on that store
2 - increased network traffic
3 - increased number of items awaiting backup.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi there

Have you tried NOT doing a manual "Run Now"?
The Task handles the Start and Stop events by itself, a "Run Now" is not necessary.

As far as I know, "Run Now" ignores any Schedules.
Just Start the Task and leave it alone then.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.