cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Journal PST via Wizzard not import all Items

kai_a
Level 3

We get a new customer and must import their journal in a new EV system.
All Journals are exported to PSTs.

So far so good

we have EV 10.0.4  on WIN2012 and Exchange 2013

we tried to copy the contents of the PSts to the Journal inbox. this is slow but looks good for a while...
Then we had a problem that we sent out thousends of "unread Deleted" messages from 7 years old Mails.  The Customer wasn't happy about this.
we found a lot of Solutions for this, but we cant test them all, and sent out more of this messages if it fails..
so we decide this is not the rigth way for us.

Then we found the  TECH53463  to import the journal via Import Wizzard.

We stopp Journaling Task
We changed the DB entry for the Journal from 17 to 5

run import
then we get the Error that the Journal User isn't in a Provisioning group.
Deleting the Archiving definition for  Journal Mailbox helps..

The import run!!

But:  at the end we got the message

Items archived: 122242 (of 126850)
 Items failed archiving: 0
 Items not eligible for archiving because of PST Migration Policy setting: 4608

If i looked in the PST i saw that this 4608 Item all Calendar items.  (accepted dates, querys ...)

Ok our definitions for Mailbox Archiving don't include Calendar items.
I define a new  Provisioning Group with a Policy including all Message classes..
run the Provisioning Task an get:

08:21:33    3    test Group    AD\SVC_MSX_Journal      .....    Skipped journal mailbox
08:21:33    3    test Group    AD\SVC_MSX_Journal    .......    Updated mailbox

i dont know why there are two entrys..  one skipped and one update..  

if i define the archive definitons for the Journal Mailbox again (so we can see a mailbox in the Wizzard)  i get only the skipped message.

But as result in both cases, i have the same problem with import as before...

what i must change/define that these Items will be imported...?  Where is still the information that this is a Journal Mailbox  (Exchange?)?
I thought to change the DB entry to 5 should be enough..

thanks in advance

Kai

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kai_a
Level 3

ok i found the problem:

the parts of the Archive which cant be imported arent in the Standard Exchange Message classes. After i found out which new message Classes i need the import works perfekt!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Kai,

Check you PST policy. Most  likely you have not selected the 'calendar' messageclass.

as for the unread messages, you could make a rule on exchange to silently delete the message (on the HT I believe)

Regards. Gertjan

kai_a
Level 3

i have checked it.  my problem is that the provisioning task dont accept the Mailbox....

we had a rule in Exchange, but it works whyever not for 100 Percent.  And we cant risk another 1000 Mails going out...

So this Way is not possible...

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You probably don't have much choice other than to try a workaround, don't import the items or import via the VAC in to a regular user mailbox PST imports into the journal isn't a very good idea, if they're encelope journals then I'd go as far as to say it's a terrible idea The solution really is the ClearUnreadNotification registry key http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH63131 So what I would do if I were you, is to send yourself a bunch of emails with the read receipt requested, repro the issue in the journal mailbox and make sure you get the notification Then set the reg key and do it again, now you should see notification, prove to the customer the solution works and then import the rest in to the journal mailbox After all, what will they do if they genuinely get items with read receipts requested etc?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

kai_a
Level 3

They have no Problems with a Message that read requests are deleted.  But they have a Problem if they get thousends of mails that a Mail from 2009 is unread deleted now...  this Mails are also sent to their customers.. (we talking at the end from 20000 ore more such Mails...)

And in the Moment it was not possible for me to recreate this situation with my own test mails.

So a solution to import items via import Archive  and not via the journal inbox sounds better for us. So far someone has a idea why the Calendar items will not be imported...

kai_a
Level 3

ok i found the problem:

the parts of the Archive which cant be imported arent in the Standard Exchange Message classes. After i found out which new message Classes i need the import works perfekt!