cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Sweden the goverment have some rules for archiving, have some questions about this

Michael_Svens1
Level 3
Partner

The first thing is that i need to have two copys of the archived data, but i only need this for the data that the goverment has decided they need to archive for a long time. Witch more or less mostly are forever. So what i would like to do is to make a replica of a vault store. Or is the best solution to have some cluster solution ? Anny suggestions here would be apprechiated.

Another this is that i need to present a solution to be able to export the archived data to another system, and that cant be that i just do a retrive to exchange or sharepoint. I need to show that it is possible to do some sort of export, now this will impossible to show a complete solution since i do not now what system to export to and so on. But i need to say that byt doing this and using this attrubutes we can somehow match the archived dokuments from EV to this new system.  Do any of you know if this could be possible ?

The last question is how to get the archived documents if the source server isnt there anymore. For example if they have a department that will be closed down, then they will archive the data needed and this will be from SharePoint, Exchange and so on. And then we need to read this archive for some reason in 4 years, but the exchange and sharepoint server isnt there anymore. What i have been thinking no here is just to use the Discovery products in order to do the searches and also the exports of the data. 

Ideas and suggestions about this would defently be apprechiated, i am discussing this question with an archivist (dont know the english term for this) but he is not an it person he just give me what i have to solve in order to apply to the archiving law.

regards

Michael Svensson

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Michael,

1 - The first thing is that i need to have two copys of the archived data

Same site, or somewhere else? You could have the original on the storage of the vaultservers, then backup to tape twice (two times), then move a set of tape to another site. You can also consider using 2 datacenters, and somehow replicate the data between them (using robocopy, centera, ev-near-sync (Glasshouse) or something else.

2 - be able to export the archived data to another system

Using Discovery Accelerator, you can retrieve archived email and put it in PST-files. I'm not too sure about Sharepoint and FileServer archives, but I assume that is the same. I do know you can restore FSA archived items to somewhere else.

3 - how to get the archived documents if the source server isnt there anymore

Discovery Accelerator again.

You might want to talk to symantec directly for ' official'  standpoint.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Michael,

1 - The first thing is that i need to have two copys of the archived data

Same site, or somewhere else? You could have the original on the storage of the vaultservers, then backup to tape twice (two times), then move a set of tape to another site. You can also consider using 2 datacenters, and somehow replicate the data between them (using robocopy, centera, ev-near-sync (Glasshouse) or something else.

2 - be able to export the archived data to another system

Using Discovery Accelerator, you can retrieve archived email and put it in PST-files. I'm not too sure about Sharepoint and FileServer archives, but I assume that is the same. I do know you can restore FSA archived items to somewhere else.

3 - how to get the archived documents if the source server isnt there anymore

Discovery Accelerator again.

You might want to talk to symantec directly for ' official'  standpoint.

Regards. Gertjan

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Not sure if this answers everything but:

Vault Stores, I guess you're looking for a DR scenario which would involve either e.g. VVR (part of Storage Foundation) or using replication on the HW-side of things.

But this would need to include SQL DB's and if using sharing between the vault stores you would basicly need to secure everything since the actual .dvs/.dvssp/.dvscc might be stored anywhere.

Export with the potential target server not being there anymore, most likely to cover all the different archiving targets/types you would need Discovery Accelerator. Exchange mailboxes you can export directly via the "Export" tool in the VAC.

To just view/search a specific archive even though the target is not there anymore can be achieved either through DA or just adding yourself/someone with permissions to the archive. Then you can use the search tools to search/browse the archive.

No you can't see from e.g. a Vault Store Ptn-file structure what mail or file the .dvs file represent. You have to have the DB's "intact". The only way to do it is to have the shortcut/placeholders, then take the SavesetID of that shortcut and match the ID against the file/files in the structure. But you can't open it if DB's are not working and if you use Shortcut deletion you won't find which mail/file is which.

Br,

Fredrik

Michael_Svens1
Level 3
Partner

Thanks for the answers. i am talking with symantec to but as usual with goverments and this kind fo solutions there are always many diffrent solutions and most important every goverment department will have there version of what the law sas they have to do and what they dont need to do. It is a djungel so its always good to have a couple of diffrent ways to solve it. 

Have been thinking of the Discovery part and i think that will solve lots of it. But if i for some reason need to do a full export to another system i guess i would need to do some programming towards the api and the target archive product. the problem is that this is not an easy question to answer since i do not know what target archive it will be. But i still have to show that it is possible to do it from EVs part. 

Regarding the the first question with two copys of the archive, i forgott to mention that i cannot use backup. I have to have two separate copys of the archive. And i also want to be able to use the single instance store part so i do not want to use the collect and migrate.  Will check more on the ev-near-sync from glashouse, that and some sort of hardware solution could be enugh to just show them that it is possible.

Always good to get some other inputs, thanks for the fast answers :)

//micke

Joe_Larson
Level 2

Not sure if this applies to your case but in our environment we are archiving to a Centera, which has a replica Centera tied to it in a different location.  That gives us two copies of the archived data.  Our legal guys are happy because the Centera preserves the chain of custody.  Centera will also not allow deletions if it is in the appropriate mode.

Legal uses Discovery Accelerator to search the archives.

Hope this helps.

Joe