cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Windows Server Versions

Darryl_R
Level 3
Employee Accredited

There has been continued discrepancies while looking at the Compatibility guides, can some clarify these versions?

Vers       ev7.0         ev2007     ev8.0       ev9.0         

Windows Server 2008            SP1          N             N             N             N            
This is Windows Server 2008 Standard Version

SP2          N             N             N             N            
This is Windows Server 2008 Standard Version (There is a 64 bit version of this that the dep scanner reports as not compatible.)

Windows Server 2008 x64 edition (using WOW64)
                                          SP1          N             N             Yh, i, l, m     Y             
What version is this? Standard, SBS, Enterprise?
                                          SP2          N             N             Yh, i, m         Y             
                                          R2            N             N             Yh, i, n          Yh, I              
                                          R2 SP1    N             N             P              P             

Windows Server 2008 x64 edition                              
                                          SP1          N             N             P              P             

This has been an ongoing issue with customers running the deployment scanner with unexpected version results. Customers are stating They have Windows Standard version 64 bit edition, however WOW64 is not installed. Is this an option on Windows Server 2008 Standard edition? Or would this be the Enterprise Version?

The compatability guide should be revised to reflect the Windows Server versions such as Standard, Enterprise etc..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I thought WOW64 was only an optional install on the Core versions of windows (i.e GUIless/headless mode)  and the core isn't supported by Windows

So the first two lines are referring two the x86 versions, which are not supported.
Directly beneath is the x64 version

Small Business Server is not supported for any versions which has its own seperate lines

But the difference between Enterprise and Standard etc, little bit aimless really considering the differences are primarily AD roles, some file system abilities, VPN and hardware differences, the core infrastructure is the same

Can both support MSMQ, IIS, ASP, NET Framework, BITS etc?
If so, why differentiate?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6

I thought WOW64 was only an optional install on the Core versions of windows (i.e GUIless/headless mode)  and the core isn't supported by Windows

So the first two lines are referring two the x86 versions, which are not supported.
Directly beneath is the x64 version

Small Business Server is not supported for any versions which has its own seperate lines

But the difference between Enterprise and Standard etc, little bit aimless really considering the differences are primarily AD roles, some file system abilities, VPN and hardware differences, the core infrastructure is the same

Can both support MSMQ, IIS, ASP, NET Framework, BITS etc?
If so, why differentiate?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

FreKac2
Level 6

By looking around on the net the only version where it's optional to install WOW64 is on Windows 2008 R2 Core. But the Core version don't support all the .NET stuff (at least the last time I checked) which is part of the reason for the limited GUI-features.

As JW2 says, the Standard vs. Enterprise is more around features e.g. failover clustering is not available in the Standard edition.

SBS is already in the compatiblity guide as not supported.

What confuses me though is:

Windows Server 2008 x64 edition                              
                                          SP1          N             N             P              P 

Windows Server 2008 x64 edition (using WOW64)
                                          SP1          N             N             Yh, i, l, m     Y   

Is the first line in preperation for EV10 and the 64bit Indexes ?

Why is there a x64 edition SP1 but the x64 edition using WoW64 is all the way to R2 ?

I think those two are the only ones that doesn't make sense (when viewed together).

Or is the first actually refering to IA-64 but is added as x64 (which doesn't make sense with the pending status either) ?