Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Index failed, rebuilding failed

prodsac
Level 4
Hi.

EV 7

Since yesterday, I have my journal index that is failed. I tried updating, rebuilding.
Same problem:

Any ideas?

I'm in the process to upgrade to 7.5 and to 8.0 now... Can I go on, or I absolutely need to resolve this probleme before?
Thanks

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Enterprise Vault
Event Category:    Index Server
Event ID:    7292
Date:        01/09/2009
Time:        12:41:47 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    MPNB
Description:
The index volume has been marked as failed.
Index Volume: 1A7FB75B876917D42B2958BCB621DB2C31110000evsrv/Volume:98 (Ev7journal)
Index Volume Path: E:\Enterprise_Vault\Indexing\1A7FB75B876917D42B2958BCB621DB2C31110000evsrv_2651158
Reference: Too many consecutive failed items

Due to errors accessing the index volume it has been marked as 'failed' to prevent further errors.  The index volume will remain inaccessible until it has been repaired.

Event Type:    Warning
Event Source:    Enterprise Vault
Event Category:    Index Server
Event ID:    7291
Date:        01/09/2009
Time:        1:05:22 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    MPNB
Description:
Index update abandoned.

Index: 1A7FB75B876917D42B2958BCB621DB2C31110000evsrv/Volume:98 (Ev7journal)
Update started: 2009-09-01 13:04:07

All previous attempts to process the update request have failed. To prevent further failures the update is being abandoned.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

if you have any other event log enteries would be helpful and also do a DTrace of the indexbroker service and the storagebroker service in verbose mode when you attempt the repair and attach the output file so we can see the result

There is a way to set a poison pill setting in the registry to bypass the default number of failures to allow your index to rebuild but you will be missing items in the index after it completes

Here is how to make the setting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Indexing\PoisonPillCount
DWORD
Default: 1
This will set the number of attempts to process an item before it is deemed to be a poison pill. The action taken depends upon what's being processed...
e.g.
After PoisonPillCount consecutive failed attempts to open an index volume it is deemed to be corrupt and is marked as 'failed'
After PoisonPillCount failed attempts to add an item to the index the addition is abandoned and the index update steps onto the next item.

If you do not have the following then please create it, if you do then change the value to '100000' :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Indexing\MaxConsecutivePoisonPillItems
DWORD
Default: 100
The maximum number of consecutive poison pill items before an index update is deemed to be a poison pill and abandoned. The index update will be restarted on indexing service restart or the hourly check for pending updates.

Remember please backup your registry before making any changes and this setting is to be removed after you rebuild the indexa

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
The failure to rebuild an index can be for a few reasons.

If your vault store is on an Disk, NAS or SAN disk and some of the files are missing it will fail

Do you need to rebuild or can you just retsore from a backup?

If you can restore stop your index and storage services. restore the index from tape and then restart the services. Then right click on the index in the VAC and run update

If you have no other option but rebuild what you can do is se the poison pill setting to allow the rebuild to complete ignoring the errors and then address the errors later.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

if you have any other event log enteries would be helpful and also do a DTrace of the indexbroker service and the storagebroker service in verbose mode when you attempt the repair and attach the output file so we can see the result

There is a way to set a poison pill setting in the registry to bypass the default number of failures to allow your index to rebuild but you will be missing items in the index after it completes

Here is how to make the setting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Indexing\PoisonPillCount
DWORD
Default: 1
This will set the number of attempts to process an item before it is deemed to be a poison pill. The action taken depends upon what's being processed...
e.g.
After PoisonPillCount consecutive failed attempts to open an index volume it is deemed to be corrupt and is marked as 'failed'
After PoisonPillCount failed attempts to add an item to the index the addition is abandoned and the index update steps onto the next item.

If you do not have the following then please create it, if you do then change the value to '100000' :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Indexing\MaxConsecutivePoisonPillItems
DWORD
Default: 100
The maximum number of consecutive poison pill items before an index update is deemed to be a poison pill and abandoned. The index update will be restarted on indexing service restart or the hourly check for pending updates.

Remember please backup your registry before making any changes and this setting is to be removed after you rebuild the indexa

prodsac
Level 4
Hi,

I have 7.0

and I don't have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Indexing
at all in my registry.

do I create it? Or it is a 8.0 feature?

Thanks

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If it isn't there you need to create it.  Also, is this for journaling?  You will want to add AVSMaxLoc and set it to either 500 million or 1 Billion at the highest.

I would also recommend this article:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/enterprise-vault-7-and-enterprise-vault-2007-indexing