cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indexing Service Schedule

wren_mott
Level 3
Hi All -

This may be basic but I can't find it anywhere in the documentation.

Can anyone tell me when the indexing service runs? Is it constant or does it run on some sort of schedule?

Finally, is there a way to dictate a schedule for the indexing service?

Wren
4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Indexing runs all the time. The role of the Indexing Service can be summarized as follows:

On instruction from the Storage Service, the Indexing Service indexes items as they are archived. It uses the AltaVista� Search technology to create and store indexing data about each item. There is one index for each archive.
The locations of index files are specified in the Indexing Service properties.

If an index is out of date, the Indexing Service automatically updates the index.

In response to requests from the Enterprise Vault web access components, the Indexing Service searches these indexes and returns information about the archived items that match the search criteria.

You want it to stay running.

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
Indexing is a constant service. If one of your Agent services processes items, then there will be an index request and indexing will index the item.

There is no schedule for indexing but it's basically dependent on your schedule for the Agent services.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

So the question is why do you want to do this. I presume it's causing you an issue of some kind? Perhaps we can resolve that issue.

wren_mott
Level 3
There is a method to the madness...:)

We are simultaneously implementing Vault while at the same time performing a migration from Groupwise to Exchange. Due to storage contraints on the new Exchange servers we wanted to increase the throughput when archiving data out of the Exchange environment as it was being exported from Groupwise.

One thing I discovered is that disabling Indexing seems to increase the speed archiving of items. But I worry that somehow this could bite us in the rear.

Is there any harm from stopping the service for a few hours at a time? What about for an entire day?