cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instant search not working with Virtual Vault

Brian_Spooner
Level 5

I'm having problems with a handful of users that cannot get results with Instant Search in Outlook against their Virtual Vault. They either get no results or incomplete results. In event viewer they have the following error:

Event ID 36, Outlook

Outlook Search has encountered an error and is temporarily disabling indexing for store. C:\users\username\AppData\KVS\Enterprise Vault\<longguid>vault.mdc (error=0x800706ba)

I've had the user verify that Vault is selected as a target in indexing -- I've also had them rebuild their indexes yet it continues. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Well the thing is this problem can occur with any PST , symantecs or not.
The MDC file its failing on is after all, just a regular PST file, if you rename it to a PST you can open it up as an attached store, the thing is though, it is Outlook and the Indexer that are throwing the error, EV has little interaction at this point.

What i will say though is that MS are usually fairly helpful regarding issues like this and can some times actually point out exactly why the issue is occuring (maybe it is an Enterprise Vault call that is causing the issues?)

Another thing to take in to consideration is currently Support appears to be under quite a large backlog lately (not just EV but all products) and you might get an answer faster from calling MS

For instance, you call up symantec, wait for a while to get a call back (after all its not a down situation so it will take a little longer than sev1's would) just to be told, hey you need to call microsoft, or maybe worse is doing a bunch of troubleshooting , log gathering, getting with your end users etc, and *then* being told you need to call Microsoft.

But if you call microsoft first you might get a faster response, and if they do say its a symc issue, you can go straight to symantec and say heres what i've done, heres the MSFT case ID, here's what they said and why its a symantec issue, then you dont get the run around saying to call Microsoft instead etc....just a thought :)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6

OK so the error is The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) server is unavailable.

Is the time that this occuring also hapening when the Synchronization is occuring?
Does the synchronize complete ok?
Does every other aspect of Vault Cache and Virtual Vault work properly?

What version of Outlook (including service pack) are they using?
What version of Windows (including service pack) are they using?
What version of the Enterprise Vault Client are they using?

Googling around and it does appear to happen in other scenarios also, it may be worth a shot giving microsoft a call to determine what the issue might be, i mean its definitely odd that its giving an RPC error, which could mean its trying to connect to itself to index the PST , which would be .... odd, so if using win7 or vista you might look at UAC or disabling the firewall to see if that resolves it etc

Brian_Spooner
Level 5

Sorry, I should have included some of the system info in my original post.

It happens anytime -- even when no sync is happening.
Sync shows completed ok, green checkbox.
Every other aspect appears to work ok...we see the virtual vault and can access the items normally, etc.

Outlook 2007 SP2 w/latest patches, 32-bit
Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
EV client 9.0.1

I did see something in the newly releaes 9.0.2 releae notes about a problem they fixed where instant search results for virtual vault were not complete, but I believe it only applied to Outlook 2010 32-bit on Win7 64-bit. Was hoping someone else out there was familiar with this issue... I did some searches as well on the index error and found some posts, but no real solutions. I wasn't sure if I should be calling Microsoft or Symantec. I have a feeling MS will say it's a 3rd party plugin issue and instant search works for regular email, and Symantec will probably say it's a Microsoft search issue :)

I'll look into your suggestions with UAC and firewall in the meantime...

JesusWept3
Level 6

Well the thing is this problem can occur with any PST , symantecs or not.
The MDC file its failing on is after all, just a regular PST file, if you rename it to a PST you can open it up as an attached store, the thing is though, it is Outlook and the Indexer that are throwing the error, EV has little interaction at this point.

What i will say though is that MS are usually fairly helpful regarding issues like this and can some times actually point out exactly why the issue is occuring (maybe it is an Enterprise Vault call that is causing the issues?)

Another thing to take in to consideration is currently Support appears to be under quite a large backlog lately (not just EV but all products) and you might get an answer faster from calling MS

For instance, you call up symantec, wait for a while to get a call back (after all its not a down situation so it will take a little longer than sev1's would) just to be told, hey you need to call microsoft, or maybe worse is doing a bunch of troubleshooting , log gathering, getting with your end users etc, and *then* being told you need to call Microsoft.

But if you call microsoft first you might get a faster response, and if they do say its a symc issue, you can go straight to symantec and say heres what i've done, heres the MSFT case ID, here's what they said and why its a symantec issue, then you dont get the run around saying to call Microsoft instead etc....just a thought :)

JesusWept3
Level 6

they're completely different issues

PaTryptik
Level 4

Is there any update or progress in diagnosing this issue ?

thx