Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail Archiving Task do you run 24/7

wilsond3010
Level 6
Partner
Wondering what's people thought for running there Mail Archiving Task

We currently have it running out of hours for user mailboxes from like 6pm till 6am and 11am - 2pm (catch a little lunch time traffic)

But what is over people's rule of thumb
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You can use this sql to get a report of the rate per hour for EV 2007

-- This one gives a hourly rate:
--Runs against the VaultStore Database
select "Archived Date" = left (convert (varchar, archiveddate,20),14),
"Hourly Rate" = count (*),
"Av Size" = sum (itemsize)/count (*)
from saveset
where archiveddate between '2009-07-01' and '2009-07-31'
group by left (convert (varchar, archiveddate,20),14)
order by "Archived Date" desc

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

TonySterling
Sounds like a bad idea. 

When do you do your backups?
What is your archive strategy?  (ie, what age do you archive items?, etc..)

wilsond3010
Level 6
Partner
I've actually have mine scheduled to stop archiving around 1am and then it run's the collection task to cab and such and then back runs around 3am

but couldn't find anything in the best practice guide for scheduling and such so went with this option

maybe i was wrong.

so we archiving from 11-2pm and 6pm-1am and then collection to cab run at 1am and then backup's run at 3am

I just noticed my logic and i should the backup's prior too the collections being done

mike50
Level 3

I agree with Tony. What is the reasoning behind running mailbox archiving between 11-2pm day time? The CPU utilization would be very high and if the end users are performing searches/restores they may be hit with performance issue as the Enterprise Vault server is busy archiving mailboxes. I would keep mailbox archiving out of hours. What is your mailbox archiving policy? How many mailboxes you are targeting?

wilsond3010
Level 6
Partner
we put the 11-2 in as it was when people went for lunch so not as many restores and such going on.

we have 1 client there is 180 and another with over 1000 we won't be putting the lunch time snap shot into there's

TonySterling
ideally your users never see pending items, so as long as you are backing up after the archive run you should be ok.

At what age do you collect and cab the files?

Are you seeing archive activity for your whole archive run?  What I mean is, do you really need that much time to archive your mailboxes?

wilsond3010
Level 6
Partner
now that it's settled down probably not.

We are archiving at 45 days and Collecting to cab's 2 day's later and moving to secondary storage 153 days after that

wilsond3010
Level 6
Partner
Is there an event log id i could look for too see when it's currently finishing it's archive run so i don't have it running from 6pm till midnight or later?

TonySterling
not currently, what you will want to do is look at the number of items archived per hour to see where it drops off.

This can be viewed either via a report or a sql query.

you can look at this for EV 8.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/323103.htm

wilsond3010
Level 6
Partner
yeh we have a issue from ev2007 before upgrade where this one install wont allow the reports to run

Spend weeks on calls with symantec and not able to get too bottom of it.  Even after the ev8 upgrade it's still the same

But on a 2nd install of ev8 for a different customer it works fine with the same setup it worked fine.

TonySterling
You can use this sql to get a report of the rate per hour for EV 2007

-- This one gives a hourly rate:
--Runs against the VaultStore Database
select "Archived Date" = left (convert (varchar, archiveddate,20),14),
"Hourly Rate" = count (*),
"Av Size" = sum (itemsize)/count (*)
from saveset
where archiveddate between '2009-07-01' and '2009-07-31'
group by left (convert (varchar, archiveddate,20),14)
order by "Archived Date" desc