cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox exchange task not working

Claire_Wilson
Level 4

Hi all,

We're running Enterprise Vault 7.5 and we're recently had some issues with the exchange task.

Whenever a user manually tries to archive an email the icon changes to "Pending" and stays like that, the e-mail is never added to the vault. E-mails older then 6 months are also meant to be archived automatically but this is not happening.

The task is running and there are no errors in the event log. I've tried running the task in report mode but no report appears in the Enterprise Vault\Reports folder.

This is a recent issue, the emails had been archiving fine before now. The only recent change was that EV was moved to a new server. However, it was tested after and everything was working fine.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Claire
31 REPLIES 31

Claire_Wilson
Level 4

I've discovered more issues - when I try to enable or disable a mailbox enterprise vault hangs and this error is in the eventlog: "Timed out whilst waiting for MAPI profile mutex"

I did an "Exchange Administration" trace which I've attached.

-Claire

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As you found out, it seems to hang when it tries to do MAPI stuff:

236 11:10:11.765 [780] (ArchiveTask) <5632> EV:M CMailboxHelper::OM() - OpenMsgStore
That's the last entry in your log.

Can you try the following:

- Open Outlook on the server

Are you able to connect to the service account mailbox then?

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Claire_Wilson
Level 4

Yes I can open the mailbox then and send/receive emails.

-Claire

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

I think it's going to be worth clearing out the Outlook profiles if you are getting mutex errors. Stop the archiving agents (all of them) and delete any of the temporary profiles. Start the tasks up again. It may well be a case that there is a build up of profiles (and their registry references)

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Also can run Fixmapi on the EV server should help

Claire_Wilson
Level 4

Rahul, I ran Fixmapi but nothing seemed to happen.

Nick - what temporary profiles do you mean? Where abouts are they located?

Thanks

Claire

Claire_Wilson
Level 4

Oh sorry, do you mean the outlook profiles? There are about 60 with names like "VaultMbxAgent-AEXCH01-1744-1282576686-0-616-0" as well as the EV service account profile.

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

Yep, that's the ones. Apologies for not making it clear in my earlier reply!

Claire_Wilson
Level 4

The plot thickens...I deleted the profiles as suggested but it didn't make any difference. I then followed the MAPI troubleshooting steps here - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/281739.htm and one of the steps involved changing the "System Mailbox" in the ArchivingRetreivalTask table.

I did this and was then able to enable & disable mailboxes. However, emails still won't archive and the Exchange Mailbox task fails after running for a few minutes.

When the task fails, this message is in the event viewer "Faulting application ArchiveTask.EXE, version 7.5.0.1250, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.3053, fault address 0x0000e7a2".

I've attached a dtrace for the task but I can't see any errors, any help appreciated!

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

Claire, it looks like the task was actually archiving items until it crashed, so the original problem appears to be down to an issue with the old EV system mailbox. The crash is going to be harder to pin down, so you may need to approach Support to resolve that part of the problem. I noticed that you are on EV 2007 base release; do you have any plans to apply the latest service pack or upgrade to version 8 or 9 in the near future as it would definitely be worth looking at updating your installation? I'm not saying an upgrade would definitely fix the crash issue though!

Claire_Wilson
Level 4

Yes we are planning to upgrade, but not for another few months.

Unfortunately calling support isn't an option for us as we don't have a maintenance contract at the moment.

I guess for the moment I'll just leave the ArchivingRetreivalTask table as it was so at least then everyone will be able to read their archived emails and the task won't keep failing.

Thanks for the all the help, I'll let you know if I find a solution!

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

Have a quick dig through the support KB. I found this tech note which is on the same version for example: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/304505.htm