cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox synchronization not working = unable to access vaulted email in 2nd mailbox

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5

My problem started out with a user not being able to recall a message from a secondary mailbox that she has access to. 

- I'm running EV 9.0.3

- I verified proper setup of permissions according to http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66008

- I verified Outlook is setup properly according to http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH128017

- The user can access the first part of a vaulted message in Outlook, but doesn't see the entire recalled message when opening it.

- The user can access the entire message using the archiveexplorerui.asp web page.

- I discovered I cannot select the mailbox to synchronize with EV unless the account is enabled and the user's email address is NOT hidden from the GAL.

When I try to synch the mailbox in the "mailbox archiving" task, it never completes.  It's been running for almost 8 hours.  There are no error messages and no progress bar to judge how far along it is.  I checked the "A7" message queue and it looks to be stuck on one particular message.  The listed message ID how not changed in the last several minutes, so I'm assuming it's stuck.

My first question is how do I unstick this synch process?

My second question is how do I resolve my synch problem.  I fear this is a larger problem than this one user b/c I've had a number of other users have issues recalling vaulted email from secondary mailboxes.  I've used the work around of the archiveexplorerui.asp in the past, but that won't work this time b/c this user needs to recall these messages and forward them to others.

Where do I go from here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5

This is resolved.  Turns out it was multistep process

- I had to un-hide the target (former) user from the GAL

- Run the Provisioning Task in the EV Vault Admin Console

- Go to the Exchange mailbox archiving task and synchronize just the target mailbox

- Then I can add permissions that are functional to the target mailbox.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How many messages are in the a7 queue?

You could stop the archive task and do a purge on it and try to synch your specific account to see if that works.

Also, for the hidden mailboxes, you can set the ProcessHiddenMailboxes registry key.

ProcessHiddenMailboxes

Article: HOWTO31974  |  Created: 2010-09-23  |  Updated: 2012-06-27  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO31974

Checking for hidden mailboxes

Article: HOWTO37769  |  Created: 2010-12-24  |  Updated: 2012-06-27  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO37769

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5

There's only two messages in the queue.  After purging, I found a hidden dialog box that said the synch had completed.  I don't know if it was there before the purge or not.  Either way, whatever synch it completed did not work.  my user still cannot retried a vaulted message from a secondary mailbox from within Outlook.

TonySterling

If you look on the permissions for the second mailboxes archive do you see your user?  Also, what version of Outlook?  Is there any Citrix or Terminal Server involved?

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5

yes, i see the permissions as they should be.  I'm running Outlook 2007.

TonySterling

Ok, if the permissions are there then synch worked.  It could be allow scripts in shared folders is disabled.

Have you checked that?

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5

Yes, I checked the allow scripts.  I'm in a class all day. I'll double check everything at the end of the day.

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5

This is resolved.  Turns out it was multistep process

- I had to un-hide the target (former) user from the GAL

- Run the Provisioning Task in the EV Vault Admin Console

- Go to the Exchange mailbox archiving task and synchronize just the target mailbox

- Then I can add permissions that are functional to the target mailbox.