Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapi error when starting Archiving Task

bjorn_b
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi guys

I am experiencing something I have never seen before; When starting the archving task it fails right away. It makes three retries, but returnes error 2256 ad 3305 to the eventviewer.

I have DTraced the ArchiveTask and got this error message

CAgentTask::Initialise - Failed to open privileged MAPI session - aborting agent startup, error [8004011d]

This system is using RPC over HTTPS to connect to the mailbox server and it is an Exchange 2010 environment with two databases. Both of them are having the same problem related to the archive task.

I have checked that I have send as rights on both EXCH servers, and I have ran through the two PS-scripts

I have also created a profile successfully for both system mailbox accounts, but this is not a MAPI connection. 

I need a hint/clue to get further on with this one.

/bjorn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

A MAPI connection to Exchange is fundamental for archiving. If DNS or the GC provide the wrong connection info then we won't be able to connect to Exchange.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Has the DAG failed over by any chance? Try failing it back. Also can you post the full dtrace. Have a look at these technotes:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH146340

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48537

bjorn_b
Level 6

No, the databases has not failed over.

I am not able to post the dtrace, since this is on a system without Internet Connection, and I have no rights to export files from the system.

Will any of these tech notes actually help me with configuring archiving when mapi fails? I'm in doubt. 

/bjorn

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

A MAPI connection to Exchange is fundamental for archiving. If DNS or the GC provide the wrong connection info then we won't be able to connect to Exchange.

bjorn_b
Level 6

ok, thanks. I had a suspicion that might be a requirement, but I have never seen a situation where Mapi isn't used before.

But if the system isn't configured for this, could I somehow make a "manual" connection via Mapi? I am no Exchange expert, so I might use the wrong words now.

ManishN
Level 4
Employee Accredited

just a guess,

Can you check in Control Panel --> Stored User Names and Passwords. I hope the list should be empty and if not then the right account is associated.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

What version of Outlook do you have on the Ev server. If you have outlook 2007 sp2 make sure you have the required hotfix installed .Microsoft hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2475891

bjorn_b
Level 6

I do have the correct hotfix. 

The Deployment scanner reports no errors (and just a couple of warnings related to SQL Reporting and NamedPipes.

/bjorn

FreKac2
Level 6

Tja Björn :)

What do you mean by "have never seen a situation where MAPI isn't used before" ?

Do you mean that from a user/client perspective or from an EV server perspective?

If it's from a server perspective then what happens if you turn off RPC over HTTP in the EV service account Outlook Profile ?

Can you start Outlook on the EV server against the service account mailbox ?

From there can you open the other EV service mailboxes ?

bjorn_b
Level 6

Hej Fredrik :)

I might be struggling with keeping the terms apart from each other (Backup guy, you know) but this is from the server perspective.

I have now turned off the use over RPC over HTTP, and connected directly to the correspondent CAS server. I am then asked for user name and password, but am able to log in.

And I can open (and send mail on behalf of) both the system mailboxes in my system, logged in as the VSA.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

The fact that you are being prompted for username and password means that something is still not right. I suspect it is still using RPC over HTTPS (Outlook Anywhere) rather than MAPI. Can you hold down the Ctrl button on your keyboard and then right click on the Outlook icon in the Icon area and then choose Connection Status - It should show that you are connected using TCP/IP and not HTTPS.

Have you deleted all the Outlook profiles and create a brand new Outlook profile on the EV server?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

refer the following docuent

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35774

try creating a new system mailbox and update the mailbox archving task with new system mailbox .

bjorn_b
Level 6
You are right about that. Will try to fix that tomorrow and see how things work out.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi bjorn,

did you manage to resolve this issue?

bjorn_b
Level 6

I was busy with some other things yesterday, but we have tested this today, and the tasks for both Exchange Servers are running now. Thanks :)