cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max # of items per target per pass is surpassed

Robert_Ton
Level 5
On my first archiving run, I had some archives under the max #, archives that reached the max # and stopped, and a few archives which surpassed the max # of items.

These people did not manually store any items in the vault, so I'm curious as to why the max # would be surpassed.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Robert
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You might want to clear that key. You don't want any conflicts.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling
what version of ev and are you doing age based or quota? was is a run now or schedule archive run?

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
Ok here's a brief rundown on archiving. When you do age based archiving and have your max number of messages per pass set to let's say 250 and you have 100 mailboxes enabled and let's say you have a 2 hour archiving window.

So in this scenario, archiving will kick off at your specified time, starts archiving on mailbox 1and archives 250 messages and then moves onto the next mailbox. Once it makes one complete pass on all 100 mailboxes and there is still time in the archive schedule, it will go back to mailbox 1 and try to do another 250 messages.

Now if you do quota based archving, the archiving service will only make one pass through your mailboxes and stop. So the most you'll ever archive from one mailbox would be 250 messages.

Of course there are other factors to keep in mind as well. Some mailboxes may have had very little mail that met your archiving rule criteria as well.

Robert_Ton
Level 5
Sorry for not providing the proper information ahead of time.

I am running EV 6.0 SP1, and we are doing quota based archiving. This was a scheduled archiving run.

Thanks for the responses so far. Any other ideas?

TonySterling
do you have a registry key for max number of messages per pass? Is it Hex or Dec if you do. It will be under enterprise vault\ agents

Robert_Ton
Level 5
I do. I put it in during some testing when I first installed this.

It's hex, and the value is a (10). So clearly it's ignoring this setting, as the lowest max # you can set is 200.

TonySterling
You might want to clear that key. You don't want any conflicts.