cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate FSA from Windows 2003 to Netapp

stenakel
Level 2
 Hi,

Our customer currently use Windows 2003 as a file-server and use Enterprise Vault FSA for archiving.
Now they want to move the file-sharing to a Netapp including the placeholders for EV.

We have mirrored everything to the Netapp using Netapp Open Systems Snapvault.
The mirror has then been broken to make it writable.

To move the EV placeholders to the Netapp we have tried to use the "FSAUtility -m <source> -d <destination".
But it complains that the placeholder already exists.
That's true, because the placeholder was also mirrored but it contains the wrong information for the Netapp.

We can manually remove the wrong placeholder on the Netapp and then use the FSAUtility to move the placeholder.

Is there a easy way to remove the wrong placeholders on the Netapp?
We tried the "FSAUtility -o" for remove orphan placeholders but doesn´t work.

Best regards
Sten
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Maverik
Level 6
You have not mentioned what version of EV you are running.  With EV8 there is a new switch in FSAutility the -f switch. the description from the utilities guide is below.

Forces FSAUtility to recreate the placeholders or restore the archived files when placeholders or files of the same name already exist. The utility first deletes the existing placeholders or files and then creates
the new ones.

If you are not on EV8 then to use this you will need to upgrade.

Other than that there is no method with EV and perhaps would need to look for some third party tools to remove placeholders based on there attribute etc. I would say upgrade would be better though.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Maverik
Level 6
You have not mentioned what version of EV you are running.  With EV8 there is a new switch in FSAutility the -f switch. the description from the utilities guide is below.

Forces FSAUtility to recreate the placeholders or restore the archived files when placeholders or files of the same name already exist. The utility first deletes the existing placeholders or files and then creates
the new ones.

If you are not on EV8 then to use this you will need to upgrade.

Other than that there is no method with EV and perhaps would need to look for some third party tools to remove placeholders based on there attribute etc. I would say upgrade would be better though.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi As genie mentioned, you could search for files with offline attribute, and delete them this way. Be careful with the restore -f, as you might have orphaned shortcuts after this... (e.g. File was deleted from archive, and placeholder was still on the old fileserver) Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

stenakel
Level 2
Hi

Sorry about the version, they are running EV 2007 or 7.5.
I hope they agree on an upgrade to EV8.

If not, what is the best or easiest way to search for files with the offline attribute and maybe remove them?

I also read in some post about using robcopy and exclude files with the offline attribute.
Problem with that is that I need remove the mirror and copy all the data again.
Would that solve the problem?

Thank´s
Sten 

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
How many EV servers?  I would lean to upgrading.